More threads by white page

Banned

Banned
The darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is. Dark chocolate will kill a dog far quicker than milk or white chocolate. (Just ask my dog, Jonah, who had a Mars bar for a midnight snack the other day. Thankfully he's fine. A bit retarded, but we think he was probably like that before.)

In addition to onions, mushrooms, grapes, and raisins are also toxic.

A tiny update, though it took tremendous energy to make an appointment and actually drive to my GP.

I have now had two decent nights sleep, and the suffocating tight feeling in my throat and chest have almost disappeared.

Going back to work actually seems to be a possiblity today. How much this is due to the placebo effect or to the efficacity of xanax I don't know, it doesn't really matter, I am just so grateful to sleep at night :)

Jazzey

Account Closed
Good. I'm so happy to hear that you're feeling better. :hug::hug:

Just remember to do only what you can.

Last edited:

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
I am so happy too, for you White Page.

It is amazing what good sleep can do. I am glad your feeling a bit better.

I am not sure of Xanax, if it would be a placebo effect. I believe the Benzodiazepine's are faster acting then a regular SSRI or SNRI.

Hi :)

I just had to jump in here, because I've had so much good experience with Xanax. YES, it works very quickly. I get relief within 20 to 30 minutes of swallowing the pills. With Xanax, I sleep well; without it, I don't. And if I'm stressed, or freaking out, or starting to panic, or anything along those lines-- once again, I get relief within a very short time.

Rest assured, you're not imagining anything! For those who need it, I consider Xanax an absolute wonder-drug. It does its job, and does it well! :)

The one and only bad thing I can say about it is that the longer and/or more often you use it, the more you'll need to take to get the same effect as you build a tolerance. I too started off taking those .25mg tablets a couple of times a day, but now I sometimes have to take 1, 2, or even 3 mg at once to bring on that heavenly sleep you described. But-- I'm just grateful that something exists at all to make it possible.

Best wishes to you!! :hug:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
The one and only bad thing I can say about it is that the longer and/or more often you use it, the more you'll need to take to get the same effect as you build a tolerance.

Not necessarily. While that can happen, it doesn't happen for all people. Indeed, developing tolerance and requiring an increased dose over time is one of the signs of an addictive process and likely a sign that you're one of the people who may not be able to use it regularly and frequently on a long-term basis.

Thanks for that valuable feedback Charity. This is an exceptional circumstance needing a calming soothing medication. But I am so grateful to my GP for prescribing something so quick acting. :)

I do worry about that, DrB, as I have an almost unbelievably strong tendency toward addiction. Anything and everything, drug or otherwise, that I find pleasant or positive in any way, is likely to become an addiction almost instantly. I hate that I'm that way, but it's hard to fight.
I just do so much better with the Xanax than without it that I can't bear the thought of giving it up.

OK- ending attempted hijack!

Retired

Re: Needing a little info about Xanax please

White Page,

It's good to hear the medication is helping provide the relief you required. Sometimes, despite our best intentions we cannot cope and deal with some crisis situations that enter our lives.

Working with our doctors, the judicious use of prescribed medications can help get us through these acute situations, so that we can regain control over our lives.

It's all about maintaining the quality of life we strive for.

BTW, for the benefit of those following this discussion, and who may be taking Xanax, there are important, potential drug / drug interactions that can affect the way Xanax is metabolized in your system, and could cause unexpected side effects.

Your doctor and /or pharmacist should be told all other medications you are taking, including over the counter preparations.

Most notably are potential for interaction with cimetidine (Tagamet) for stomach as well as oral contraceptives.

Some cough and cold preparations might be affected as well as some antibiotics, and antidepressant medications.

Your doctor or pharmacist can assess the risks, if they are present or not, as it depends on the specific medication, and advise you on how to proceed.

To fully understand the mechanism of action of these potential drug interactions, read the articles and posts on Cytochrome p450 in our Medication Interaction Section

Alternatively, you may wish to determine if any potential drug / drug interactions among the medications you currently take, using one of the drug interaction checkers we like that are listed in this Psychlinks post.

FYI that post has recently been updated to include some newer and more effective drug interaction checkers we have found, and removed others we found to be less reliable.

Working with our doctors, the judicious use of prescribed medications can help get us through these acute situations, so that we can regain control over our lives.
:2thumbs:

That is so true Steve, at times I know I resist admitting that I need help. which is not wise, as I end up struggling.

Is your doctor aware of this and is it taken into consideration when prescriptions are provided to you?

No, and intentionally so. Because of all the drug-seeking behaviors seen in doctors' offices these days, I fear that disclosing this would perhaps cause me to be denied helpful medications that I would otherwise receive.

Because I have become so very aware of this about myself, I consciously keep myself in check-- and I can honestly say that I do a pretty good job. I know what I can and can't get away with, and my husband also knows to keep an eye on me.

Addiction runs rampant through both sides of my family. Thank God I can't stand the taste of alcohol! That has probably spared me a lot of grief.

Sorry for another attempted hijacking, WP-- but perhaps this might be helpful to you in some way as well. Xanax can indeed be addictive for some, but I have found (for me personally) that its helpfulness far outweights its risks.

Don't worry please Charity,
Your comments are very valuable to this thread, all experiencee and information may help other members with the same concerns, thank you for sharing yours :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.