More threads by GaryQ

I remember that first day my aunt got a tv. It was black and white small but what a miracle it was to us kids anyways we got to watch wizard of oz scary in black in white.I am sure she was happy to something to help her distract us 8 kids. It also was a turn channel button. i believe we had rabbit ears antenna to try to get new stations lots of snow at time but what a treat it was.

GaryQ

MVP
Yep and with the rabbit ears we added steep wool to help a bit.
There were not as many commercials but since we spent more time back then trying to adjust the rabbit ears didn't make much difference.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I remember the first "remote control" we got. It was a box about the size of an extra large box of chocolates with a bunch of channel buttons on it and a long maybe 9 foot cord that stretched across the carpet to plug into the TV. Hilarious until everyone and the pets tripped over the cord.

GaryQ

MVP
Re: You know you're old when...

We had one of those kinds when we got cable boxes.

Our first remote control was ME. as I previously stated.

Our first real remote was early 70's the old man bought a big (well cabinet it was in was big) With a real clicker remote. 2 Buttons to There was a steel round rod with a hammer action and the sound triggered the channel change. You know me, that sound sounded familiar so one day when nobody was around not to be a witness if it failed I grabbed 2 soup spoons and when hit right smack in the center click channel changes. Practiced i was 10 or 11 at the time. So as they were watching TV with the remote in the old man's hands I sneakily pulled a channel change took them a long time to figure out what was wrong with the TV or remote. Till I decided to sit on the couch and say what channel you want? and started Tapping the spoons. Priceless was the look on everyone's face.

That's really cool that it was triggered by sound. I never knew they did that.

The first TV I remember my family having was a small one with a dial to change channels. My parents had a small wired remote (a bit smaller than two decks of cards put end-to-end) that they didn't know how to hook up. Apparently it connected to the VCR player or something... I don't know. I never saw it actually being used.

I did learn how to use the cassette player when I was a kid though, from having to flip the tape part way through a read-along audiobook. :lol:

Yes it was. I only learned that they had a remote for it after that incident, but "it probably didn't work" according to them when I pointed out that I would've found it useful during that time period. :facepalm::lol:

GaryQ

MVP
Oh, I laughed so loud I think I woke up the neighbor. Although it's not nice laughing at somebody whose going senile it's a good thing she'll forget before complaining to the board.

GaryQ

MVP
Great you managed to cause the same reaction again oh well past 7:30am time for her to wake up anyway. :rofl:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.