More threads by Cat Dancer

Retired

When I pressed the link just got a blank page. and the lock came up for secure site but that was all.

I believe the page did not fully load.

Are you on a dialup connection? The page from the link in the earlier posting brings you to the introductory page for Shields Up. You need to use the link labelled Proceed which brings you to the test page.

On the test page, (see thumbnail) are the various tests you can perform by clicking on the buttons: File Sharing, Common Ports etc.

There are a number of help and explanatory links on the test page.

Attachments

• shiels.jpg
    shiels.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 1
Thanks Steve, I got it to work, Im on dial up and it took ages!!! My computer passed every test with flying colours, I think my computer is more safe and secure than the flat I live in:D

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Thanks Steve, I got it to work, Im on dial up and it took ages!!! My computer passed every test with flying colours, I think my computer is more safe and secure than the flat I live in:D

Just to clarify, TTE, you're saying that your computer passed all the tests with just the built-in Windows XP firewall?

I am in the process of redownloading the old version right now and am hoping it will work, but wondering if it will keep giving me the popup of "updating."

Thanks for posting that site to download older stuff.

I wonder if the older version will eventually become obselete. I installed it and it seems to be working just fine.

Edited to add the older version of Zonealarm.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Thanks for reminding me about this thread.

Since I last posted here, I've deleted ZoneAlarm completely. I'm now running with the following:

1. AVG AntiVirus program (real time virus protection)
2. Windows XP SP2 built-in Firewall
3. Windows Defender (real time anti-spyware)

These are working well and "playing nice" with each other.

Retired

While re setting up my desktop system, I recalled this thread and checked in to see what was the latest report.

As soon as I booted up, I disabled ZA and enabled Windows Firewall and much like David will stick with the same set up except I have a long term subscription to Norton Anti Virus.

I do miss the outgoing alerts I became accustomed to in ZA, which gave me a sense of security that nothing unwanted would be calling home.

Perhaps we can take some consolation in the fact that MS Windows Defender would come to our rescue if spyware wanting to call home managed to get in.:crossfingers:

So is ZA still on the to be avoided list?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It is for me, I think, Steve. I'm annoyed that their latest update went from an already large 13 megs to well over 30 megs, all so they can bundle mandatory trial versions of other software I don't want. And when you think of it, what is there to update with a firewall anyway? Why do they bother to nag you? It's not like an antivirus or antispyware program where they need to keep adding new signatures. There are only so many ports on a computer to allow or block.

If I do get to the point where I feel Windows Firewall is insufficient, I downloaded Comodo Firewall to test. But frankly, the Windows Firewall plays nicely with all my other software and uses less resources.

TSOW,

I miss the alerts aswell, be nice if the Windows Firewall had them,, Windows firewall does have a sercurity log where you can view things like in Zone Alarm, I look at that to see whats been blocked or recieved.

TTE,

How do you access the Windows Firewall security log?

TSOW,,

Ive just seen this and thought I had answered it but havent !!

Control panel>Security center>Windows firewall>Advanced, then you will see Security logging on that window, you have to set up a file and then you click on the file and open it and a list of what is going on will appear usually in notepad form.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.