More threads by hijodelaluna

I've had a few sessions with the Employee Assistance Program at work and the counsellor I've spoken with has suggested I continue my sessions through the Gestalt Institute here in Toronto.

I've done a bit of research on the principles of the Gestalt therapy and I'm not sure if it's what I'm looking for.

I've been reading the info listed on this board regarding the Cognitive Distortions and I really see myself in most of the list of twisted thinking.

Any feedback on either methods of therapy would be greatly appreciated and if anyone can provide any referrals for the Toronto, thanks in advance.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I'm more than a little skeptical about Gestalt therapy myself.

Check your email -- I'll send you the name of an excellent therapist in Toronto.
It's been a few months since I looked into cognitive therapy. Unfortunately, my finances have not yet afforded me the opportunity to speak with a therapist, but hopefully soon.

I find myself experiencing waves of depression from time to time, but it's the times that I feel happy that scares me, knowing that the feelings of sadness will shortly come around again.

I've come quite good at covering up my feelings and have only told a select few how I truly feel.

I've spoken with my family doctor and he doesn't think I'm depressed. I've also told him that I've been having thoughts of suicide, including on what day it would take place.

The EAP counsellor I had spoken to before had suggested that I get a psychiatry assessment, to which my family doctor laughed at. In his own words, he stated that Psychiatrists don't know what they're doing. Time to find a new doctor.

The one thing that I've truly become tired of is the endless internal chatter that my mind creates. At times it feels like I'm in a struggle where my logical thinking is being attacked by my negative thoughts.

I look forward to your advice.


Hi hijodelaluna,

Definitely time to get a new family doctor...sheesh, you landed a real dud in that one. To find a family doctor in your area, you can call the Find a Doctor service available through the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario at (416) 967-2626 in Toronto or toll-free at 1-800-268-7096. Or view their Web site at CPSO - Home

As you probably know, psychiatrists are covered by our provincial health plans so there is no cost to you. You can simply go to an outpatient clinic at any hospital and ask to see a psychiatrist. To find a psychiatrist in your area, you can call the Find a Doctor service listed above. If you want a doctor ASAP and are feeling particularily suicidal then please go to the emergency room of any hospital.

Another option may be to find a general practitioner who has been trained in psychotherapy. These GP's are also covered by the provincial health plans and are no cost to the patient. The GP Psychotherapy Association can be contacted to find a doctor near you at (416) 410-6644 in Toronto.
Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos

Check out the Mood Gym below

I hope you get some help for your depression ASAP, hijodelaluna.
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.