More threads by LadyLaveau

:confused: Curious. Can a person become manic due to sensory overload???? Asking because I have a mutual acquaintance named Shawna {actually my best friend's significant other} who seems to have manic tendencies as well as depression. After an incident involving this person I told my aide about it and she said that she thought that she {Shawna} most likely has bipolar disorder. When I told my friend this he said "Shawna has depression, she only becomes manic because of sensory overload {too hot, too cold etc}". Is that possible???? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Reacting in a hyperactive way to excessive sensory stimulation definitely does happen. I'm not sure it's necessarily indicative of bipolar disorder, though.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It would be foolhardy, not to mention unethical and illegal, for anyone here to try to diagnose someone online. It is also strictly against our Forum Rules.

To answer that question, your friend would need to consult a qualified mental health professional with the expertise and legal authority to diagnose.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.