More threads by Nella Mareti

My 5 y.o daughter have problem being on situation such as birthday party, family gathering, shows on stage, she usually cover her ear tightly with hand and look at the floor for the whole evnt/show. She seems can't stand the sound of audience clapping hand, laugh or cheer. When I ask her why or take her hand off her ear she will cry hard, and look very stress out. What should i do to help her overcome her fear? Note: she has no problem going to public places such as the malls, school.
thank you

HA

Nella,

Here is a section from an article that talks about sensitive hearing.

"Overly-Sensitive to Sound

Children who are overly sensitive to sound are challenged by hyperacusis, an inability to tolerate sounds of ordinary loudness. To children with hyperacusis, sounds such as a vacuum cleaner, a baby crying, a raised voice, a siren, wind, rain, a hair dryer, a dog barking can sound unbearably or painfully loud. Young children with hyperacusis may cover their ears with their hands, attempt to flee from the sound, cry, scream, or tantrum in response to sounds they are not able to tolerate. As these children advance through the preschool years they begin to tune out disturbing sounds giving the false impression that they are no longer sensitive."

Click on the site below to read more:

GateWayIn.com is for sale | HugeDomains

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
You and Daniel should think about writing a mental health encyclopedia, Judy -- collectively, you are a one-stop-shopping mental health resource!

HA

David Baxter said:
You and Daniel should think about writing a mental health encyclopedia, Judy -- collectively, you are a one-stop-shopping mental health resource!

Daniel, I think Dr. Baxter is offering us a high paying job.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.