More threads by sister-ray

If it isnt one thing its another, P.M.T, pre-menopausal syptoms, heavy periods, missed ones etc etc, it just goes on and on and on, and now two of my smear tests have come back with what they call a borderline abnormality (more worry) so its back to the doctors next week to see what happens next, I really dont feel good about being a woman today.........

Lana

I'm sorry that you received some not-so-great news, Eyes. Maybe this will at least help with the difficult periods.

Kanadiana

Hi ... I reached menopause a few years back (it apparently become official menopause when a period hasn't happened for one whole year) For many years before that i went through the same sorts of problems you do, and all of them during the peri-menopausal years ... also, many years ago I also had a smear come back abnormal and had to have a cone-biopsy (biopsy and removal of part of my cervix) ... the good news was that scooped out the changing cells and everything has been hunky-dory since.

I know it's a tough call to try not to worry about what the results may be, but abnormal means abnormal. Abnomal does not equate cancer, only a biopsy can show that, and even if a biopsy does show cancerous changes, cervical cancer is one of the easiest to catch and get rid of early.

I guess my point is "try not to worry too much" ... many women young and older, experience abnormal changes and it doesn't mean they have cancer ... you'll have the results soon and know what you're dealing with.

Take care ... and try not to stress (and by the way, I've gone through a few serious cancer scares and biopsies and they all came back good news for me ... I understand the fear and worry when waiting on results ... "what if" thinking can take over at times. Ouch.

Hi Kanadiana,
Many thanks for your reply. I got very worried today and instead of waiting for my appointment on Thursday rang my Doctor and had a good chat, he is referring me to a womens hospital for a colposcopy, he too has told me not to worry as there are other things that could make a smear show up abnormal apart from cancer, so I am a bit calmer about it now.
Thank you again for your words of reasurrance they have helped.

Kanadiana

I'm glad my words helped you some. And am glad you were able to talk to your Doc and that he/she reassured you that it's not abnormal to have abnormal pap results ;) All your other symptoms seem very much like typical peri-menopausal symptoms ... from what I've read, gone through myself, and from other women who have been there. or are there ;)

Abnormal cells is something to be concerned about and find out what they mean ... they can mean anything from nothing to something, and usually mean nothing much to worry about in terms of life-threatening scares. Its usually NOT cancer.

Keep us posted ;)

Hi Kanadiana,
Just to let you know I have a appointment for a colposcopy on the 13 Dec, a little bit of a wait, but the clinic only runs three days a week and for certain hours, so they are fully booked up.

Kanadiana

through-these-eyes said:
Hi Kanadiana,
Just to let you know I have a appointment for a colposcopy on the 13 Dec, a little bit of a wait, but the clinic only runs three days a week and for certain hours, so they are fully booked up.

Hi :)

It's good to have the update ... I was wondering how you were faring. I'm glad you'll have some answers soon ... I know waiting can be anxiety provoking. You know where we are iffen you start to agitate and want to talk or ventilate ;) ... and we'll be here after the tests etc too ... ;)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.