More threads by panda

panda

Hello,

This problem started when my first important exams began. At first, anxiety and stress prevented me from only studying in the evenings, when I was horribly tired due to 12 hours of study a day. I could no longer even look at a text book. Nevertheless, stress was the factor that caused me to jump from my bed and start studying. Due to the intense stress, some days I couldn't fall asleep and stayed up until 5am. I have used Neurozan to keep the stress away and help me to concentrate. However, it doesn't help anymore. It seems I have a different problem now.

Eventually, I have finished the exams that year. However, from the beginning of the second year, I now feel that anxiety and stress all the time. I felt behind in my second year and I ended up with horrible grades. Now I'm in the middle of the third year and it doesn't prove to be much different from the second.

At the moment, the only thing that I can think of is that I have to start studying, nothing is interesting anymore, not even things like video games, music and other hobbies that I previously enjoyed. I only use them to get away from the real life for at least an hour. I don't want to do anything.

I tried almost anything I can think of: healthy eating, exercising, week-long holiday, going out, sleeping well, talking with my parents, assigning two weeks just to relax, using vitamins and even things like coffee and redbull that also proved of no help.

I'm quite a sensitive person, so I tend to cry a lot and in the first year, the stress was so intense I often started shaking and braking things like a drawer. I also tend to feel completely relaxed after I have cried a lot and can make myself study, but with no use since the brain doesn't accept anything I read after.

Please help :(

panda

Re: Anxiety and stress prevents from studying

No, I haven't. Do you think it's that serious? I would like to overcome this problem myself, since it will take ages before I get any help from a doctor where I live. The main problem is that I have no idea what I am up against.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
You could benefit from

1. medication - either an SSRI or SNRI medication if you're generally an anxious person or a worrier, or a mild tranquilizer or equivalent, e.g., lorazepam or buspar, if it's only occurring periodically when exams are approaching or when you have a major assignment due; and
  2. psychotherapy, especially including CBT or similar strategies for vetter managing the stress and anxiety when it occurs.

Yes it is that serious and, to be honest, it's probably not something that will just go away or something you can overcome entirely on your own.

Start with your family doctor.

In the meantime, have a look at some of the threads, especially the "sticky" threads, here: Cognitive Behavior Therapy: CBT

Call your doc ok see if you can get in sooner then later explain why

Docs usually set aside some time for emergency people so talk to your doc and get on some meds to help your anxiety

Also talk to the councilors at your school see if you can get some extra support when it is exam time
see what is out there to help you ok
They may also be able to fit you into some councilling sessions to help you cope better at exams time.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.