More threads by boi

boi

I recently have been having what I think is anxiety at work. I hate my job right now and have been constantly standing up for myself (or what I think to be). Everytime something happens my heart beats really fast and I can hear it in my throat and ears. I wish I could just stay at home and never have to go in again. I hate them. I am trying to stick it out a little longer. When we are called for a meeting my heart automatically beats fast. I can feel a really fast pulse, strong and I get dizzy as well. It is also happening when I get frustrated and irritated with things. Is this anxiety?

I am trying to view my situation at work as personal growth to set my boundaries etc...but I cant ignore the physical symptoms whihc are hard to fight and make me want to quit on the spot.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Re: anxiety at work

Except for the dizziness (which can also be a symptom of anxiety or panic attacks), that sounds exactly like the anxiety attacks I would get at work. Are you seeing a therapist and/or psychiatrist now?

Personally, I would recommend exercising more in the morning prior to going to work since that helps me sometimes prevent or minimize going into flight-or-fight mode. I would also stay away from all sources of caffiene, including decaf coffee.

For some other anti-anxiety tips:

Dealing With Panic Attacks In The Workplace - Psychlinks Psychology and Self-Help Forum
Suggestions for coping with anxiety - Psychlinks Psychology and Self-Help Forum
Amazon.com: When Panic Attacks: The New, Drug-Free Anxiety Therapy That Can Change Your Life: Books: David D. Md Burns

However, for me, therapy (CBT) would probably be most helpful for anxiety at work. I really took things way too seriously at some of my first jobs and would do things that were actually counter-productive, like working during most of lunch break rather than take a relaxing walk.

Last edited:

lallieth

As Daniel said,it would be wise to give up caffeine in the morning.When you are faced with a situation that may cause anxiety,I find that some deep breaths help to calm me as well as placing a nice picture in my head,such as laying on sunny beach or something like that

boi

Re: anxiety at work

Are you seeing a therapist and/or psychiatrist now?
However, for me, therapy (CBT) would probably be most helpful for anxiety at work. I really took things way too seriously at some of my first jobs and would do things that were actually counter-productive, like working during most of lunch break rather than take a relaxing walk.

I am seeing a psychiatrist and I have started medication Risperedone. I seem to take everything very seriously and I want everything perfect. I work quickly as well. I have realized that in this company it doesnt matter if you work quickly and hard noone notices, noone cares. I know I will be starting CBT therapy as well so hopefully it will get better and Ill be able to quit this job in July either way.

As Daniel said,it would be wise to give up caffeine in the morning.When you are faced with a situation that may cause anxiety,I find that some deep breaths help to calm me as well as placing a nice picture in my head,such as laying on sunny beach or something like that

Damn, I will have 0 vices left after I quit caffeine. When I am faced with anxious situations I do try and daydream and not pay attention to where I am or what I am listening to, the prob is when I re-focus I get even more annoyed that I have to be there listening. I will try though, this job is completely stressing me out

Last edited:
Hi,
That sounds like what I was like at work. I wish I could tell you what to do...all I can say is don't do what I did. I couldn't stand the physical symptoms anymore and the fear that I would mess up at work, so I left the job when my contract ended instead of renewing it. I sort of regret it now...I should have tried harder to find a way to cope. If you really hate the job for reasons other than the anxiety you experience, then you should try to find a way to control it before you leave, because the next job you have will be just as daunting.

boi

I know what you mean Little_Girl_Blue. I am so close to just walking out the door, but then I think that I will try and look at this as personal growth because there will always be people who try and walk all over you at work and I should use this as a means to get better at it while getting a paycheck. i just need to talk to my doctor about how to manage my anxiety and how to handle these people.

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I am sorry you are facing such anxiety at work, I know it feels awful when you dont even want to get up in the morning to go to work. Are there other ways you could work on personal growth without staying at a job you dont like that is causing anxiety for you? Maybe a fresh start somewhere else would be better, one with more job challenge and enjoyment.

I sometimes think I have put myself through alot just to prove I can do it, but I dont need to prove anything to anyone, not even myself. I just take it day by day as was suggested to me on this forum and am trying to do things that make me feel good.

I hope this came out ok, it can be hard to explain sometimes what I mean and I am not always confident giving advice, I am just saying this approach is helping me.

boi

you are right adaptive1, I dont know who I am trying to prove myself too. I was sitting at my desk today and again I started to vibe something and I had anxiety again. I am paranoid as well. It's awful. I can't focus or work well when that happens either. I might be laid off soon and I do not want to lose out on the pay so I'm just waiting really.
If I dont get laid off in the next month I am outta there

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.