More threads by rex76

rex76

I tend to get anxiety and nervousness in doctors offices. When I have to get blood drawn or be given an injection, I have to lay flat. If I don't I get light headed and I pass out cold for a few minutes. The same thing happened to me the other day when the Optomitrist put contact lenses in my eyes. I felt fine after they were in. When she started to examine my eyes after the contacts were put in, I started to feel light headed and I passed out right there in the chair. I was feeling nervous and anxious about wearing contacts. I wanted to wear them but at the same time I was nervous about it.

Why does this happen to me and when it does happen why do I pass out?

Hi rex and welcome to psychlinks :)

Sometimes when Ifeel anxious I begin to breath very shallowly in my chest which can lead to being light headed and even to passing out (which it obviously did in your case). I'm not sure if this is what is happening for you or not though. What did the optometrist say about it? And does your GP know?

I also feel very nervous with doctors. It's the worst with my dentist. When I go, I try to do focus on my body instead of my thoughts or even the surroundings (sounds, sights etc). When I focus on my body I'm able to be more aware of my breathing and I can then breath more deeply. I can gain a bit of control over my anxiety.

Retired

It's not uncommon for many people to feel anxiety when seeing a doctor or other health professional.

They even have a name for it: white coat syndrome

This reaction is well documented when bllod pressure readings are taken, and most doctors will compensate for this phenomenon.

It might be caused by some previous unpleasant experience, or from a sense of not completely understanding what might be happening.

Personally I don't like needles because I had an unpleasant experience in childhood..getting a booster shot!

I get through it by asking the nurse or doctor to tell me when they are ready to prick, and I squeeze my nose at that moment. It seems to divert the sensation of the pin prick, and the experience is a bit easier.

Many people have had unpleasnt experiences with dentists, unfortunately, but dentistry along with training in medicine has come a long way to improve communications with patients.

Most physicians, dentists and other health care professionals will explain procedures beforehand, so the patient knows what to expect.

It's usually unexpected unpleasant reactions to procedures that cause the most discomfort and most disturbing.

Knowing what to expect reduces that discomfort.

Best advice: tell the health care professional about your anxiety or concerns and ask them for their advice on making the experience as comfortable as possible.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.