More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Anxiety Won't Kill You -- Anxiety and Depression Association of America
by Patricia Thornton, PhD

Whether my patients have OCD, social anxiety, a phobia, panic, or are just generally anxious about life, they come into treatment wanting to be free of the uncomfortable feelings associated with anxiety. To rid themselves of their anxiety they have tried meditation, relaxation, yoga, different psychotherapies and medication, but overall they don't feel a whole lot better. They ask me, "Why am I so anxious?" and "How do I get rid of this anxiety?" And I respond: "You need to allow yourself to be anxious and you don't need to know why you are anxious." I know it sounds counterintuitive. But when you actually move toward your anxiety and just allow yourself to experience it, without trying to flee the situation or reason your way out of it, those yucky anxiety feelings and bodily sensations tend to dissipate.

Anxiety never stays at one level. It oscillates up and down, often influenced by what you're thinking about. If you accept that you're anxious, you are no longer fighting it. When you fight the feeling, you are saying to yourself, "This is awful! I can't cope!", "Something bad is going to happen". And then what happens? You get more anxious. You may attempt to manage anxiety by avoiding situations that you believe could cause you to be anxious. Or you may attempt to manage anxious thoughts by ruminating or doing things to make sure you are safe. These strategies only work in the short term, if at all. Your anxiety comes roaring back, often worse than before. If you can stay in the anxiety causing situation or stay with the disturbing thoughts long enough and say to yourself: "It's OK that I'm anxious," the anxiety is likely to dissipate on it's own. You don't need to do anything about the anxiety! And if you can take it a step further and challenge yourself to want to feel more anxious, then you are taking bold steps to conquer your anxiety.

I know that asking to feel more anxious is hard to do in practice because every part of you is saying you need to get rid of the anxiety. We are wired to respond to danger by gearing up our sympathetic nervous system so that we can get out of harm's way. Sure, if there is a rhino charging at you, your brain tells your body that there is imminent danger and your anxiety will help move you away from the rhino's path. Unfortunately, our brain creates noise (false thoughts) that we misinterpret as dangerous and then our fight/flight system gears up, even though there is no actual danger. When you can embrace anxiety and stay with situations and thoughts that make you anxious, you are retraining your brain to be less reactive to those false thoughts. This is not the easiest thing to do, but if you haven't tried accepting your anxiety and actually asking yourself to be more anxious, try it. You are likely to discover that moving toward your anxiety, instead of away from it, will ultimately leave you feeling less anxious.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.