More threads by adaptive1

Retired

I see hobbies and passtimes as two distinct kinds of activities.

I think of a hobby is often a lifelong pre-occupation that one begins at a young age. The activity occupoies their thinking and planning during every waking moment they are not working at the job that earns them a living. They eventually become expers or skilled crafts persons or artists in that particular hobby occupation.

Passtimes might vary from time to time over the years, and might take on various forms, from volunteering for this or that organization, dabble or experiment in a hobby that does not last, occasional travel or sporting activity, always being replaced by someting new.

Does anyone else see it that way, or can there be a different interpretation of what consitutes a hobby or passtime?

I like looking at flowers,
photo's, looking at or taking.
Walking by the ocean.
Getting totally immersed in a good book. (thrillers)

Must start up doing at least one of these.
hard to kick start.

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

For me I think they are both the same.. interchangable?

pastimes - definition of pastimes by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
( my Daniel moment :D) compliment btw.

AmZ

Thanks :)Have a look up of Spirograph. The Spirograph makes the simple shapes and then I fill I'm areas and connect the shapes together.

greenstarz

I like scrapbooking, and I recently started keeping an art journal. I also recently took up sewing, but have only made one thing, but I enjoy it a lot. I like to paint and draw what I feel isnide. I also like scavaging for cool stuff at thrift stores and places like that. But I haven[t really done any of those things lately. I have had trouble staying motivated and keeping focused. I wish I could do more of it all.

Sewing.. hmmm When I was younger ( a lot younger!) I think I used to do ..... ammmmmm oh got it.. embroidery. sewing floral patterns on cushion covers etc. Couldn't do it now though.. me and sewing needles don't see eye to eye.. (get it? :D).

Scrapbooking??? What does one do with this? (need education here :) )

rdw

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I read - have a kindle and love it, garden with a passion, and dabble in photography. At one time I did stained glass work and loved that too. I hope to take a painting course or a soap stone carving course this summer.
Scrapbooking - wow that requires a lot of patience, determination and focus!!

Retired

Scrapbooking??? What does one do with this?

I've noticed retail stores in strip malls dedicated to scrapbooking. Have also seen them in flea markets.

Looks like a lot of people are doing it, but I'm not clear on exactly what it is they do. Hoping to learn from those who know!

greenstarz

Sewing.. hmmm When I was younger ( a lot younger!) I think I used to do ..... ammmmmm oh got it.. embroidery. sewing floral patterns on cushion covers etc. Couldn't do it now though.. me and sewing needles don't see eye to eye.. (get it? :D).
lol, i got a used sewing machine that has an automatic needle threader....its really cool and saves a lot of trouble. I don;t think id' be patient enough to do embroidery work. The one thing i made with the sewing machine was a tea cozy for my sister. I got the pattern from ebay and it looks like a giant cupcake! My sister got me a bunch of cupcake stuff for chiristmas, because I guess cupcakes are trendy or something...i dont know. But I really like little decorative glittery cupcakes now for some reason. I love glitter! dont know why... I guess when I thought of starting the hobby of sewing I didn't realize how expensive it actually is....all that fabric and the threads and everything else. BUt I guess if you build up a lot of stuff it gets less expensive.

Scrapbooking??? What does one do with this? (need education here :) )

Scrapbooking is making scrapbooks of things yu want to remember....most people do pictures from the past, lik e of their kids, or childhoods. I made one scrapbook of my little brothers childhood pictures and things he used to draw and things we used to do together and stuff. I didn;t give it to him because he really wasn't that interested in it. BUt maybe when he gets older he will be. He was like my one bright light growing up. I really took care of him and did a lot of things for him and wtihhim. Caring for him kept me alive. So that;s what I put in the scrapbook. I have some pictures of me as a child, but its too hard for me to really look at them. I have a lot of pictures of my cats, which i am making a scrapbook of. You can make them of anything you want. Threre' s a whole huge market of scrapbook materials, some really trendy things, some nostalgic type things, some classic looking things. A lot of different materials to choose from. THings like 3-D stickers, diie cuts, chipbord alphabet letters, cardstock, patterned paper in an enormous selection of patterns. And then there are tools to put eyelets and grommets on the pages as decorations, different shaped brads and little metal tags and signs, and templates to trace out designs, and all kinds of different shaped paper punchers, etc. THere's tons more stuff I can't even list. I have so much stuff that I've collected over the years. A girl I worked with at a bookstore get me started in it. There were times when I went in a manic spree buying scrapbook stuff. So I don't need to buy anything for a long time. I'm trying to get myself to work on it, actually I was goingto try today but havent gotten to it. But I really used to enjoy it.

edited to add: I forgot to say./...what you do with scrapbooking is you take all your memoribelia, and artfully place it on a page in a binder type of book (usually 12''x12" but size can be different) and you use the other materials to help tell the story of what you want to remember. SO if you have apicture or a cat eating, you might get some stickers of cat food and maybe some stickets of a cat playing with yarn, or a die cut of a cats paw, and you arrange it all on the page, and make a heading out of some fun letters that match the papers you used on the page and that match the background. And you use all the stuff to like tell the story that you want to preserve.

So it is like a photo album only more personal touches and all the other stuff you mentioned that you could use.
That would definitely pass the time. and be a distraction from other things to boot! :)

thanks for the information.
I am learning lots today thanks to this thread.:)

rdw

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I have friends who scrapbook and they can spend hours on it! They tell me that it is a great way to pass the time - I have no attention span for it.
I grow roses, peonies, lillies - lots of perennials. And spend our long winter months planning and replanning how to move and rearrange my plants. Thanks for asking!

greenstarz

Yeah Ac, what you said is a good description of what scrapbooking is.

it is a good way to pass the time if you can handle thinking through how you want to arrange things, and go through the steps to get eveythign right. It does take a lot of focus, but when you can do those things, it's really fun. Sometimes I get so lost in it that hours and hours do go by, and I even go for that whole time without smoking! (which I find incredible)

Roses are really beautiful :) Especially just before they open fully. I have seen gardens with only roses in them. Only in my dreams could I have something like that. :).
Seeing as how you are passionate about gardening.. If I or anyone else had a gardening query.. would it be okay to ask you about it?

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

Wow Greenstarz... that is really amazing!. hour and hours without a cig.. :eek: not on your life!!! I couldn't do it. no way jose.. :D

Hm, I like to paint (on canvas with acrylics), although that's more of a fall/winter activity for me. Now that it's summer I'm more of a gardener and like to snap photos. Also I like to read a lot, but my brain has felt so full lately I've been avoiding it...

Last year when it was ridiculously rainy, I tried slug-throwing.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.