More threads by foghlaim

foghlaim

hi K9.. i'm smiling at your post.. *s*... and you don't have to be sorry for forgetting anything..( i do it all the time.. lol )

as for labels.. my psych is careful with these as well..? and we go thru whatever "label" (like claustrophobia for inst) that he or i might mention during apt or refer to..?
for me.. i prefer to know.. what such a thing is called.. then i \we (dr and I) can see if it "fits" (me). and get as much info on it,? work thru or around or whatever.. know what i mean??
like when my psych diagnosed depression,, i was god no.. not me.. took me a while to accept it, because the term "depression" was a label and i didn't like it. didn't matter that he was right at the time and still is.

the only "self diagnosing" i did is the claustrophobia one..(yrs & yrs ago).? and i do know that i was\am, (sometimes) have been suicidal as well... is that a label or state??
anything else i think i'll leave to the pro's..*s*? ?and maybe the others here who can help identify "whatever".

now who's forgetting panick attacks... lol..

K9

Hi Notsosure
notsureanymore said:
thanks David.. i've read it.. will have to reread a few times i think.. to understand it prop.

thank you..

Hi the K9 here again - now you can see what it was best for David to explain (lol) :)

foghlaim

K9. i'm just glad that I don't have to explain it........... i'd never be able.. lol.

it's interesting tho... and you found it helped you...which is great!
as i said i'd never heard of this before.. so was curious..

foghlaim

today is april fool's day...
and i feel like such a fool.. but not in the joking sense...? i mean.. i won't go to offices, lifts,even small shops...? i will get on the bus now,,, even tho it makes me want to pass out..? ?evertime i go out i'm sick to my stomach.. breathing helps.. self talk helps me get where i have to go,, but the only place i am comfortable is at home...? ?i have to go out again in a while.. even make a point of having to go out.. like when i'm in town.. i say I'll get that tomorow so that i HAVE TO leave the house...? i want to chance small places but i'm too afraid that i won't succeed.? ? ? it's like if i go out i'll be sick and if i stay in i'm beaten... if i go in small place and? panic, i'm beaten and if i don't try i'm beaten anyway...

aahh i'm just ramblin again.. i think..?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It's more that I need more coffee. When I saw your post, I thought "that's agoraphobia not claustrophobia" and split it off to start a new thread. Then I realized that the whole thread is about the similarities versus differences so I merged it back. Then I got distracted by an email and answered that. Then I came back here and found your "are you insane? what are you doing? make up your mind!" post... :D

And now I'm going to change the thread title to "Claustrophobia and Agoraphobia". :)

Do you think my best bet is really more coffee? or do I need therapy? :eek: :eek: :blank:

K9

Now I'm really confused David (as if I wasn't already). Family member will need computer soon so I might have to rush off but can anyone tell me if they think I have agoraphobia or specific phobia or what? I am afraid to go up and down escalators, large flight of stairs unless there is a landing and walls on either side, afraid to drive on freeways and highways (only like small streets) and don't like hills. I call them hills but most people just call them dips. I have had problem with stairs since I was about 5years old. About 45 years. The driving etc seemed to come about when I had a couple of car accidents.

K9 :)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
That does sound like a specific phobia, K9, but it doesn't sound like either typical agoraphobia OR claustrophobia.

Sometimes, there just isn't a name for it. But you don't need a name to treat it.

foghlaim

Do you think my best bet is really more coffee? or do I need therapy?

sleep, a little coffee and def therapy!! lol in fact i think this forum has some very good ones...you could ask them for some advice lol.

jkb

NSA ..i just wanted to say keep on going!!! Utilize all you have..your shrink..tools etc..and keep getting out..even if just for a few minutes. I am proud of you for all you have accomplished :)

foghlaim

JK !!!! .. how u doing?? *s*

Damn!! i have to log off now..

hope to see you later ok..
delighted to see your post.
and thanks for the encouragement.. *s*..

foghlaim

i'm really just using this space now to get rid of this mess in my head... cause there is no solution.. that i can see anyway other than to write and hope it clears me brain a bit. *s*

i have an event that i have(\need\want\will do anyway.) to host tomorow night... things is.. it means lots of ppls around me and this place is not big enough... i won't be able to leave or excuse myself cause it would ruin the event for a special person.. the closer it's getting the more anxious i am becoming for all sorts of reasons. even now writing this my stomach is in knots..... should have just ignored what i'm feeling i guess...... i'm so afraid that i'll fail ( panic, whatever) and i still have so much to be done.. the whole thing is just getting to me i guess..
i'm trying to concentrate on getting things ready and at the same time i'm kinda beginning (in my head) to panic i guess .

now for the funny bit.. lol.. tis claustro, agora and social phobias (maybe)all rolled into one right now...
who said u can't have two at the same time... .. aaahhhhh!!!!!!

foghlaim

sholdn't have given into myself and writen the above... now i'm really panicking... i just made it so real by writing about it........ stupid idiot me.. i'm trapped now. and i know it. feel it..

JA

Hi!

I hope your event goes well tonight... I know panicking really sucks, but if you can, try to remember the feeling isn't actually dangerous (besides being really uncomfortable). It won't lead to fainting or physiological problems... it's just a really (really!) bad feeling... You've made it through it before, and even if it seems impossible, you'll make it through tonight...Anyway, I don't know if that's any help at all, because it's hard to convince yourself of that during a panic attack...but hopefully it'll help a little bit...

On a different note, is there any way that, in the event that you feel really bad tonight, you could propose to all go somewhere? I don't know what the event is, so maybe this is not an option, but I was thinking something along the lines of all going out for coffee, desert, a walk, a movie?... Not to say you have to avoid the feeling, but maybe thinking there are SOME options would be reasuring...If not, don't worry, you'll get through it anyway

Good luck, take care, and let us know how it goes!

foghlaim

thanks JA: the event is a 21st.. my daughters.. and it's getting bigger than originally thought to be.
I so want this birthday to be as good as it can possibly be for her.. (i made a bags of the others, and i know at least 2 of the others were disasters) i'm just no good at organising these things.. but i think i should be by now..but not (should have been back then). i have help now, so that has taken some of the pressure off.. (at least in getting things done).

concentration today will help keep my focus (off me and panicking) for a while so that is good.. i know i have to go out for a small while. but not for long.(i hope) and then tonight.. well.. i will just have to wait and see.

thank you for the encouragement.... much appreciated.*s*

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.