More threads by adaptive1

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I haven't posted for a little bit. My mother has been very sick with cancer and I have been trying to deal with that. What's frustrating is that while all these real issues go around me, I continue to obsess about things that have no importance, such as worrying about my mental health every second of the day. I am finding the ACT tools useful and recognizing I am not my thoughts but I feel guilty about thinking about trivial things sixteen hours a day when my mother is fighting for her life.

I went to my doctor and he wanted to put me on anti psychotic as he said it is used for mood disorders even though that's not what the psychiatrist said to take. I said I felt uncomfortable taking this drug for what I was told is Ocd and he agreed to put me on Zoloft. It hasn't been working and I am confused. I am really beginning to think there is nothing wrong with me except that I need to change my life. The doctor told me to come back in two weeks but now in worried he thinks I'm crazy which maybe I am to keep ruminating on the same stupid things all the time.

i guess I better read up on the acceptance and Committment therapy some more.

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Just a couple of weeks, but I'm dizzy and I feel like the thoughts are getting stronger instead of diminishing. I didn't think it would work right away, I know it could take months, but it makes my concentration worse i think.

Retired

I didn't think it would work right away

That's correct, because SSRI's typically require several more weeks before they begin resetting brain chemistry levels and alleviating symptoms. Many of the initial side effects usually diminish with time as your system becomes acclimated to the new chemical balance, but if you find a particular side effect intolerable, it might be a good idea to report back to the doctor to see if there are any options that might help, such as modifying the dose, or adding another medication that might mitigate that particular side effect.

Do you have a method of providing feedback to either the prescribing doctor or to the psychiatrist who, according to appears to be directing your treatment?

Are you receiving supportive psychotherapy along with the medication prescription?

Were you advised about taking your medication at a particular time of the day?

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Thanks Steve. I will try to be patient. I know it takes awhile and I expect that. I've already tried prozac but hopefully this goes better. I do have a good OCD counsellor and I see her next week. It's just frustrating that my doctor thinks I needed anti psychotic and I know I don't.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It's just frustrating that my doctor thinks I needed anti psychotic and I know I don't.

There are three SSRI medications, one of them Prozac, that are known to have good anti-obsessional properties. There are also a couple of the so-called "atypical antipsychotics" that are also know to have strong anti-obsessional effects. These days, it is becoming more and more common to prescribe medications for what they can do for an individual rather than for the "drug family" they belong to.

The fact that your doctor prescribed "an antipsychotic" doesn't mean s/he believes you are psychotic and you should not refuse to try a medication because of its label. It might actually be for you the "wonder drug" you've been waiting for.

Hope the side effects go away soon hun and you are left with the positive benefits of the drug I was given anti psychotic hun for anxiety in smaller dose that all Meds can be used for more then what they are labeled for hun as said Hope you feel better soon adaptive1

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
My doctor took me off the Zoloft because Of side effects. I am now on seroquel and it seems to be helping a little already. I did not know it was successful in treating obsessive thoughts, does anyone know what the typical dose will be. I am worried About long term side effects, but I am surprised that it might be helpful. It would be nice if it works, especially after how long I've been dealing with this.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
My doctor took me off the Zoloft because Of side effects. I am now on seroquel and it seems to be helping a little already. I did not know it was successful in treating obsessive thoughts, does anyone know what the typical dose will be. I am worried About long term side effects, but I am surprised that it might be helpful. It would be nice if it works, especially after how long I've been dealing with this.

The typical does depends on what it's being used to treat. Its primary use is in treating bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, both of which are associated with OCD traits. For those disorders, typically the dose might be in the range of 200-600 mg per day.

You'll likely be given 50-100 mg I would think.

Have you already tried Prozac (fluoxetine) and Luvox (fluvoxamine)? Those are also known to have good antiobsessional properties.

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I didn't have luck with Prozac but I haven't tried the other. I'd feel more comfortable with the ssri to be honest, but my doctor was pretty insistent about the seroquel. I should be more assertive about the SSRi I guess, because I am quite nervous about this medication, but then again maybe it will work, it does seem to help a little. I wish I could not be so nervous with my doctor, I don't know why he wants me to take seroquel, he says he has seen a lot of success with it, but there isn't much on the Internet about it being used for OCD. The long term side effects look scary on seroquel but maybe a lower dose is ok. I'm only on 75mg so far.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I didn't have luck with Prozac but I haven't tried the other. I'd feel more comfortable with the ssri to be honest, but my doctor was pretty insistent about the seroquel. I should be more assertive about the SSRi I guess, because I am quite nervous about this medication, but then again maybe it will work, it does seem to help a little. I wish I could not be so nervous with my doctor, I don't know why he wants me to take seroquel, he says he has seen a lot of success with it, but there isn't much on the Internet about it being used for OCD. The long term side effects look scary on seroquel but maybe a lower dose is ok. I'm only on 75mg so far.

No I'm not suggesting that your doctor is giving you bad advice at all. It was more a question for if you have difficulty with side-effects on Seroquel.

And you're right: I don't think the more concerning side-effects are really a significant risk at low doses like yours.

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Thanks for the advice. This medication makes me very uncomfortable as I read more about it. I understand if I need it for first line of medication but there seems to be other less drastic options I could try. I will talk to my doctor and I don't want to question him, it's just the side effects look scary and it seems to be used more as an add on for ocd than a treatment. Part of my paranoia is my brother took anti psychotic medication as part if his schizophrenia an developed diabetes and other complications that killed him. Oh the world of medication can be confusing...

It is good hun you will be talking to your doctor because as you said medication can be so fearful As stated by Dr Baxter hun the amount of seroquel you are taking is a very small the side effects of that amt would be almost nil and the benefit of the medication you have stated it is making you less anxious so that is good right.
Not everyone reacts same way to medication other you have to just look at w hat the medication is doing for you now Hope you talk to your doctor soon hugs

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I am going back to the doctor on Monday for a follow up. I hope he will agree that I can give up on the seroquel, it makes me feel depressed, anxious and hasn't helped my obsessive thoughts, infact it has increased my obsessive thoughts to the point where I am struggling to work at the moment. I lost my desire to do much of anything I am so tired. I haven't event spent any time catching up on the forum because I am so out of it. I guess I need to give medication more time to work, I will do what ever he recommends.

It is good to discuss with your doctor hun that you don't feel well on the medication and that it is not helping your OCD thoughts perhaps you pdoc will change your meds or even add something I hope you find the right one soon hun that will you feel more like you hugs

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
My brain is exhausting me. My psychologist told me to write down all my obsessive thoughts and eventually the anxiety from them should go down. I cant say that these thoughts give me any anxiety but they continue non stop none the less. I know I have to learn some day to accept them and let them come and go, I really hope I can learn to do that. The problem is they dont go, they just stay and I feel guilty worrying about the most trivial things to the point where I cant concentrate on anything else. I really wish the medication would help but it hasnt yet.

Here is the ten minutes of my thoughts and if I write it out here maybe it will help me see how ridiculous it is...dont feel like anyone needs to read it, it's more of making a point to myself I guess..........

My mind at work:

"The medication is going to kill me, the side effects are going to killme, I am going to gain weight, I need to exercise so I don?t gain weight, Ineed to eat less so I don?t gain weight, I think the medication is going todrive me crazy, the medication is not working, when will the medication work.

"The doctor thinks I?m crazy, I am crazy, I am not crazy, the medication isn?t working,what if it does work, what if it doesn?t, what if I get diabetes, what if I getcataracts, I could have a heart attack, this stuff is going to kill me, I should takeit, I shouldn?t take it, it isn?t getting better, why am I taking these drugs, I am getter better, I am getting worse, why do I have tolisten to this, , there is nothing wrongwith me, there is something wrong with me, I don?t want to take the medication,I will take the medication...

"I cant stand how embarrassing this is, why am Idoing this, I must be crazy, I don?t want todo back to the doctor, I should go back to the doctor. I think I am going outof my mind,...... I don?t thinkits better today, why wont my mind shut up. I should eatnormally, I shouldn?t eat. Why am I even worrying about this, stop worryingabout this. I need to lose weight. Whydo I need to lose weight anyway? I think I am going crazy . This is riducolous. I amriduclous. When will I snap out of this. I dohave OCD, I don?t have OCD. "

And on it goes the entire day and doesnt stop for a second...............

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
My brain is exhausting me. My psychologist told me to write down all my obsessive thoughts and eventually the anxiety from them should go down.

Often with OCD, at least the "Pure O" form of OCD, that doesn't work. That makes it worse, as if doing it actually strengthens the OCD thoughts.

I cant say that these thoughts give me any anxiety but they continue non stop none the less. I know I have to learn some day to accept them and let them come and go, I really hope I can learn to do that.

That is the key: Identify it as an OCD thought and let it go. Don't focus on it. Don't fight it. Don't give it any power. Just let it go.

The problem is they don't go, they just stay and I feel guilty worrying about the most trivial things to the point where I cant concentrate on anything else. I really wish the medication would help but it hasn't yet.

What is your medication again? And how long have you been on it?

Here is the ten minutes of my thoughts and if I write it out here maybe it will help me see how ridiculous it is...don't feel like anyone needs to read it, it's more of making a point to myself I guess..........

Just knowing it's ridiculous doesn't stop the thoughts, does it?

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Thank you so much Dr Baxter for you kindness towards me by the way all these years :)

Sadly you are right, knowing it is ridiculous doesnt seem to help.

I am still on seroquel at 100 mg and am supposed to go to 150 in a few weeks. I was debating telling the doctor that this medication is triggering my eating and weight loss obsession becuase one of the side effects is weight gain, but I have had a lot of trouble with my doctors appointments and I have no idea why. The last appointment I had I had an anxiety attack in the doctors office and I really dont think he knows what to do with me. I cant figure out what is so anxiety provoking about going to the doctor about this and it is contributing to the problem in that now I am afraid the next time I go back the same thing will happen so I am wondering if I shoudl go back at all. I know avoiding what you have anxiety over is just going to make it worse, so I suppose I will have to suck it up and go back.

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
My mind is seriously messing with me and its hard to ignore, I'm lieing awake worrying that this medication is going to kill me. I really don't think my doctor would try to kill his patients, logically I know that, but my mind obviously is looking for new ways to keep my OCD alive. This thought would be funny if it wasn't destroying my health nd taking all my time.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.