More threads by Lost N Young

i have really low self esteem lately in the last 2 years ever since mr r.e teacher told me i was pathetic because i felt bad about mysel, i really rtrusted him with eveything even my life until tht day e sed tht, i had trusted him 4 like 9 months with verythin tht was goin on, now eva since then, i walk round with arms cross n head down.. im a teenager so i shouldnt rele be like this.... wat could help me ??:( :( :(

Halo

Re: confused:

Hi Lost,

First of all I am truly sorry for what that teacher said to you (I can relate). He had absolutely no right to say that and was so irresponsible and reckless (in my opinion) telling you that. Teenagers have a hard enough time trying to determine who they are and grow into their own bodies and lives that they do not need to have someone who they look up to putting them down.

Second, look at the source of the information or comment. Does one person's opinion really validate who you are? You are so much more that what he or any other person thinks. Deep down you know who you are and that is what you need to hang on to. If you don't feel good about yourself deep down or when you look in the mirror then maybe talking to a school counsellor or therapist to help you build a better self-esteem may help.

Don't let one person's insensitive comment take you down (trust me I have been there recently). Fight back, look at the source of the comment and prove to him and everyone else that you are so much more and you know who you are.

Take care

thank you for your advice, im sorry to seem a nuicense or a pian etc but i just dont know what to do or feel anymore, almost like im numb inside. but thank yew for your kind advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Halo

Lost,

You are definitely NOT a pain or a nuisance here. You are a person that needs to have a voice to talk about what is troubling you and that is exactly what we are all here for. To talk, share, listen and care.

i am sorry to hear this teacher you trusted said that to you. that was very harsh on his part and very uncaring.

i know it's hard to try and not let those words hurt you, especially when you are a teenager! growing up is not an easy time.

you are not a nuisance or a pain, personally i would much rather see you post here and talk to us than have you keep your thoughts to yourself and continue to struggle on your own. this forum is about support for people. so please do not worry about that. we're here to listen.

no, not at all. children can have depression too, and you're a teenager. i think it is important for you to understand that people who do not know someone with depression, or have not experienced depression themselves, do not really know a lot about depression. any questions you have let us know.

it's just my mum seems to think, i cant understand what depression is because im so happy at home , im only happy at home bcos i dont want to cause an atmosphere .. is it healthy for me to do this?

pretending you are happy when you are not adds to your loneliness and pain. it's not healthy to bottle up all your feelings.

do you live in a family where feelings aren't really discussed? or where everyone is expected to be happy?

maybe you can try to talk to your parents and tell them how you have been feeling, and if they say you cannot be depressed, you can show them the sites that halo just gave you links for. or you could have them take you to your doctor and all of you can discuss what you've been feeling.

ermm my family dnt rele discuss felings because my parents r too busy or have their troubles they dont relenotice mine

thank yew nancy . i'll take a look at those..

Last edited:

Cavi

Lost, I'm sorry the teacher imo was unprofessional...No adult should ever put a teen/child down...I can really relate, I had a teacher jump my case in 2nd grade in front of the whole lunchroom which was full of kids...I also had it happen when I was in high school...

I can also relate about your parents not discussing feelings, my family never did either...Do you have a guidance counsellor in school that you could talk to?...Or another teacher that you feel comfortable with?...Like others said here, it's important not to keep your feelings bottled up inside...

It REALLY pulls on my ole heart strings to know your hurting!...RIMH

yh ive tried not to keep it in , but i dnt like telling every1 or making a scene but i htink soon im about to erupt and i just need some help. i could try my counceller but she sed last time that if it got serious she would phone my parents.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

i could try my counceller but she sed last time that if it got serious she would phone my parents.

Sounds like a win-win situation to me. The school counselor would foster family dialog about the fact you are depressed and need professional help.

Honestly, keeping your depression a secret from your parents will likely only worsen your self-esteem.

In any case, you need to speak up for yourself and get the professional help you need.

HotthenCold

That's brutal that a teacher would say that to a teenage student. I think any teacher worth their weight in text books would know that it's never okay to insult a student like that. In fact, I'd say that any adult willing to be that vicious towards someone who they are entrusted to help develop and grow has some serious personal issues and is probably a very ugly person inside. Seriously, don't take their opionion to heart, I guarantee that the teacher is just unhappy with their own world, and it's not you at all.

Mari

MVP
:confused: For me right now it seems that the brutal and vicious people are waging a war against kindness and caring but I will not give up. It also seems that even ordinary, nice people have a negative attitude about mental illness. BUT please ignore them and ask for help if you need to - just as you would if you had a physical injury. As far as I know any teenager can make an appointment with a doctor or go to a walk-in clinic for help without going through their parents. You do need to have your health card with you but otherwise I do not think a doctor would refuse. Take care Lost N Young. :dimples: Mari

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.