More threads by NakedWombat

Just thought I would post something quickly about the health system in Australia and have a bit of a rant.

We have a universal health system which is supposed to be for everyone but it is not. It is favoured to those who flash health insurance. In the State of New South Wales, there are women giving birth to babies on the waiting room floors while waiting for medical assistance and even on the toilet for women who must have privacy. The rubbish goes on.

I live in a regional city with approx 65,000 - 70,000 people. The hospital also services the surrounding rural towns. The capital city of Queensland is Brisbane, about 700km south of Rockhampton where I am.

In April, 2009, I had a neurological matter where I had three falls within 10 minutes. The third fall saw me lay on the floor as I lost all control of my breathing as it moved back and forth between rapid and not breathing at all.

Anyway, after being seen by the doctors at the hospital including the Registrar, I was told that it was definitely a neurological issue and that it put me in a high risk category of a cardiac arrest. To show you how stupid our health system is funded or should I say, not funded, I was then told that the hospital was no longer funded to help neurological issues and as my cardio risk was neurological related, they were not permitted to do anything for me at all until I had the heart attack and even then, they might not be able to do anything except send me to Brisbane in the extreme. So they sent me home.

Later on I found out the same applies for lung patients. One has to go to the Big Smoke(capital city) to get that medical help.

So I don't bother going to hospital any more. When I've had a neurological matter arise, I just get myself to bed and lay it out. I've laid it out for up to a few days while waiting to be better without medical assistance because now, were I to take myself to hospital, I would only be sent back. Not worth going to the politicians because none of them give a rat's petunia.

Rant Finished :2thumbs:

busybee

okay then, what you have said has really surprised me. I also live in Qld but part of the 'big smoke'. I live in Redcliffe. I have never thought of how the healthcare system affects the rural areas. What can we do about it. ARe the PM new health reforms going to make a difference. Sorry obviously pretty out of touch.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.