More threads by kelsischanging

Although I was diagnosed with depression and then eventually bipolar disorder about five years ago, I have not had issues with panic attacks or really bad anxiety until recently. For the past three weeks, I have had horrible panic attacks (I think that's what it is). The thing is, that during the day I am fine....no depression, no anxiety, no symptoms at all but then about 8:00pm I start getting extrememly high anxiety and then eventually panic attacks. I don't really know much about panic attacks but I feel like it lasts for hours...well it does until I go to sleep (which I've been taking sleeping pills to sleep)...unfortunately I still wake up in the middle of the night with panic attacks. I think that most of this has to do with the fact that my grandpa is very ill and will probably die within the next few days and I am anticipating a phone call at anytime and especially at night...I took one of my mom's xanax tonight which seemed to help and I made an appointment with my doc. tomorrow ( I couldn't get in w/ my psychiatrist so I made an appt at my family doc because I have to see someone)...When night comes I just wish I could skip the night and it could be instantly morning haha... What can I do when I get these panic attacks?? Like I said I have never dealt with this before and to be honest I'm a little scared. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
At least in general with anxiety, exercise helps me the most, though anticipatory grief is obviously something else. You may benefit from reading material that is given the families of hospice patients, e.g.

The worst symptoms of all - anxiety and dread - illustrate this point. Robert Fulton, PhD and Robert Bendiksen, PhD discuss anxiety in their book, “Death & Identity.” You expect your loved one to die, they explain, but “exactly when it will take place is not known.”
The suspense is unbearable. If you feel this badly now, how will you feel when your loved one is gone?

Talking about feelings will help you to relieve anxiety. Instead of brooding alone, talk with a trusted friend. Your church and local hospital may have grief support groups. You may also get support from national associations, such as the Alzheimer’s Association.

http://www.americanhospice.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=80&Itemid=8
And, of course, there is therapy.

kelseym said:
What can I do when I get these panic attacks??
See:
http://forum.psychlinks.ca/panic-disorder/11202-how-to-survive-a-panic-attack.html
http://forum.psychlinks.ca/panic-disorder/11255-panicked-8-tips-to-wage-your-own-war-on-terror.html

BTW, a good book that may be available at local libraries:
When Panic Attacks by David D. Burns M.D. (Amazon.com)
http://books.google.com/books?id=XX...dq=when+panic+attacks&ei=GThESoDDMZ-EzASu86RU (Google Books)

Last edited:

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
I am glad you got an appointment tomorrow to see your GP. Panic attacks when they first happen can be quite scary.

I am sorry to hear about your grandpa being sick.

I don't mean to sound lecturing, but taking someone elses meds is never a good idea, because dosages for each person can be different. As well as other interactions.

I am glad you are seeing your GP tomorrow. I am sure they will be able to help you.

Again I am sorry you are struggling and to hear about your grandpa.

Keep us posted on what your GP says tomorrow. I wish you all the best :support:

I think another reason anticipating my grandpa's death is so bad is that it is the first major death since my father died when I was 9 (12 years ago)...this kinda brings me back to when he was sick and we were anticipating his death

Trust

Hi Kelseym!:)

Good for you for reaching out tonight! :2thumbs::hug::hug::hug::support::support:

You may want to read this thread - http://forum.psychlinks.ca/panic-disorder/18107-anxiety-attacks-chemicals.html - where others talk about breathing through the panic attack - I hope it helps you feel better!

I had a few panic attacks when I was a teenager and it was terrifying! Luckily, I saw a psychologist speaking about panic attacks on tv and she explained that even though the physical symptoms (ie. feeling faint, or believing you may die or "go crazy", or simply feeling disoriented) are present there is in fact nothing to fear - these things will not happen to you - and when I learned that I wasn't "losing my mind" I just went with the panicky feelings while reassuring myself that I should just breathe - go with it rather than fight it (fighting it would increase the sense of panic) and just have faith that the good doctor I saw on tv knew what she was talking about. Truly, I only experienced the panic attacks a few times before coming across the information and then when I felt one coming on I just relaxed and reassured myself that I would be okay and had nothing to fear. Information and understanding helped me immensely and I believe that is why I only experienced the panic a few times and why they didn't continue to occur. Thank goodness it worked for me because panic attacks are scary! I hope you get the same kind of relief and just as quickly!

The news about your Grandpa naturally creates a feeling of anxiety inside you, IMO, and especially in light of your loss of your Dad at such a tender age - long before you would have had the emotional maturity to completely understand how his death affected you! I feel sad that you had that experience Kelseym and I feel sad that you are now facing your Grandpa's illness and imminent passing that also brings back memories of feelings from that profoundly sad time in your young life!

And I also think that dealing with sensitive situations and emotions is more difficult to deal with at night. The daylight just seems to be more hopeful and I understand how you feel less vulnerable during the day!

I hope you are not alone tonight, but if you are, I know you will get through it okay! I think anticpating that you will soon hear news that your Grandpa has passed away is a terribly hard thing to deal with and you may be feeling a loss of control? and may as well be feeling overwhelmed by your feelings? I think it is natural to be feeling a little frightened and insecure in the circumstance.

Take care, Kelseym - you will get the right kind help from your doctor soon - (and I agree with NikNak about not taking your mom's meds but I know how panic can lead to impulsive decisions in an effort to do anything to stop the feeling) so please just hang in there and be kind to yourself in the meantime until you discover the right coping technique for you! Soon you will see that you can handle whatever it is that life has planned and you will be okay!
Thinking of you and wishing you a peaceful sleep tonight. You are braver than you realize! Just breathe and believe - everything will be okay - because it will be and so will you!:2thumbs:

Saw my GP today and she prescribed something to help with my night time anxiety until i see my psychiatrist in about three weeks so I feel better having that tonight.

Hello,

Might I ask what you were prescribed to help? I'm just curious, as I used to suffer from panic attacks and have tried several different medications to ease them.

I also want to echo what Trust said about checking out that other thread- this one. The things we discussed in there are even more helpful than medication when it comes to relieving your symptoms as quickly as possible.

:hug:

Charity,
I was put on Ativan but that is just until I can get in to see my psychiatrist which is in about two or three weeks...from there I'm not sure if my psychiatrist will keep me on the Ativan or put me on something else ect... I haven't taken it yet so I'm can't say if it will help or not but I'm more than willing to give it a chance

Jazzey

Account Closed
Hi Kelseym,

I took ativan for a little while - it did help with the panic attacks. But I was also diligent to only take it when I really needed it.

Good luck with the Ativan :2thumbs:

I have been doing somewhat better...I definitely see an improvement with the ativan! My panic attacks seem to have lessened somewhat in the evening and if I take something to help me sleep, I have been sleeping more through the night!

Thanks for asking :)

Kelseym

fiona

Some things I have tried and help with the panic attacks are re focusing my attention elsewhere. I have a friend who I text message every morning when I am standing out front to put my kids on the bus. This helps me focus on the conversation and not so focused on the time I am waiting out there.

Maybe if you could call a friend and just talk it would help. Also when I start to have them at night, I draw a nice warm bath and try to soak and concentrate on my breathing. If I still can't seem to wind down, I sit in the bath and put my mp3 player on with music that I like that's calming. I've also tried to read.

It's really hard to focus on other things without getting wrapped up in the panic but I've noticed if I take my attention away from it and calm down, all the yucky feelings go away. Also make sure that you aren't drinking anything with caffeine in it before bed time. Caffeine is always counterproductive when dealing with anxiety and panic but at night it can really get to you by keeping you alert longer and wound up longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.