More threads by worrysome

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I thought I would get better now that I finally got sober, but I never did. I work now, but it borders on almost impossible. I have spent my entire adult life begging anyone for answers for what is wrong with me, and I may have finally started to be getting to the bottom of this.

Check this thread. If anyone here has more in-depth info on this, please help me.

Catatonia in those with ASD

I responded to you in that other thread, Roy.

Roy H.

This article kind of seems to articulate to a certain degree what's going on with me. Though it doesn't really talk about how my brain and eyes kind of "freeze up" sometimes when looking at someone - sometimes you can tell when other person is looking at me it's like they r seem a ghost or something...and from that point forward said people try to avoid me.

Social Anxiety and Dysmorphias | Social Anxiety Institute

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Honestly don't think Prozac has helped much. Maybe I need to try paroxetine??

IMHO, changing SSRIs may not be as helpful as integrating additional therapies such as CBT, sweat-inducing exercise, etc.

As my last therapist told me, mental health issues can be like having diabetes in that there are things that may need to be done daily for prevention/treatment. Like exercising, journaling, going out of your comfort zone every so often, etc. -- whatever has worked in the past.

Social anxiety can respond especially well though to CBT -- if one is willing to face one's fears.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Additionally, paroxetine (Paxil, Seroxat) does not have a good record when it comes to adverse side-effects and it is also known to have perhaps the worst discontinuation/withdrawal effects in its family.

If you're already on Paxil and it's working for you, great. Don't change anything.

But if you are not currently on Paxil, I would suggest that there are a lot of alternatives that are preferable.

When it comes to the choice of medications to treat whatever conditions you may have, Google really is NOT your friend.

Talk to and listen to your doctor(s) instead. That's what they are trained to do.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
To David's point, a funny/interesting title:

Paroxetine--The Antidepressant from Hell? Probably Not, But Caution Required

From the conclusion:

The problems and risks associated with paroxetine appear to possibly make it the least safe of all SSRIs and SNRIs and, if not for the low therapeutic indices of TCAs and MAOIs, possible cardiotoxicity and increased risk of serotonin syndrome, possibly the least safe of all antidepressants. These conclusions should lead practitioners to be much more cautious than with other antidepressants in recommending, initiating and continuing treatment with paroxetine, especially in females.

Roy H.

I go ahead and get my hopes up, and then it quickly comes crashing down. I'm at my wits end here. Really on the verge oof entirely giving up.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
The study would probably have gotten similar results if Prozac was used and even better results if the SSRI was combined with CBT.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
One problem with focusing on medication as the sole answer is that it can lower self-efficacy.

For me, a lot of my hope comes from knowing that I am stronger (more mentally resilient) than I sometimes think.

Roy H.

I just can't probably articulate how desperately awkward and strange I am. think I know where this is heading, and it isn't good.

I think I did something horrible in a previous life, or a source of something is torturing me, because that's what it feels like. If I had any belief in God, it's all been shattered.

- - - Updated - - -

Once I lose this job (and I will lose it), I can sell the house I have, the ORA and checking and get an RV. With $125k (maybe more) I might be able to stretch that until I cant, and then go on the street.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I just can't probably articulate how desperately awkward and strange I am. think I know where this is heading, and it isn't good.

I think I did something horrible in a previous life, or a source of something is torturing me, because that's what it feels like. If I had any belief in God, it's all been shattered.

I think most people with mental disorders, including myself, have felt that way (in varying degrees and at various points). But there is hope. For me, I don't even really need a lot of hope (which concerns the future) if I can focus on today and stop taking negative thoughts/predictions/conclusions at face value.

Have you ever read a book by David Burns? They are excellent. One of his points is that people with terminal illness usually feel more hope than people with depression -- an example of how distorted thoughts can be with depression or anxiety.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Once I lose this job (and I will lose it), I can sell the house I have, the ORA and checking and get an RV. With $125k (maybe more) I might be able to stretch that until I cant, and then go on the street.

Since homelessness is a recurring theme for you, I don't know if you fully realize the safety nets that are out there, e.g. unemployment insurance, SSI, SSDI, etc. At least half of my small town primarily lives off of some form of Social Security (retirement or disability). But it helps one's claim to be getting therapy in addition to medication.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
And there are social workers at the local, federally-funded job centers and affiliated agencies that provide vocational rehab, job placement, etc.

Welcome to Benefits.Gov | Benefits.Gov

I went to my local job center last year and was surprised how much they offered. They even reimburse local employers who hire their clients and provide on-the-job training.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
You can't foresee the future anymore than anyone else can, @Roy H.

The only thing certain is that if you do nothing proactive to help yourself and to make changes, everything will stay the same.

As @Daniel has pointed out, there are many available resources to help you. Check them out. See which ones apply to you.

Are you still going to see your therapist?

Roy H.

No I stopped with the therapist months ago. Maybe I went to 3 sessions?

I've tried about 4 of them now over the years and it's always the same thing - I get to a few sessions in and it just seems like I'm paying them to shoot the breeze with me.

If the prozac doesn't aleviate the issues I'm having, I might need to rethink being on anything. The really good benefit about the prozas is that it seemed to help my overeating - I was eating more regularly on it (lately it seems like less).

I'm going to have to go back to see the doctor again and get more opinions.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
*sigh*

I've said it before: you are your own worst enemy. YOU are what is stopping you from moving forward.

Stay on your medication.

Go back to therapy.

Doing SOMETHING will help.

Doing NOTHING will NOT help.

Status
Not open for further replies.