More threads by Miette

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
To be fair to your doctor, Michelle, (1) lamotrigine is not a new medication and does work quite well as a mood stabilizer for some people; and (2) there are apparently some research reports which imply that Topamax is not an effective mood stabilizer, although my observations of clients, and of course your own experience, would suggest otherwise.

pennypony

Hi

my sister takes Diazepam and olanzapine.

She started on diazepam which didnt do much. So the Psychiatrist prescribed olanzapine which seemed to work wonders and stopped all symptoms. Sadly they seem to be resurfacing slowly. Plus she has put on weight with the olanzapine.

The diazepam is very addictive I would not recommend. Once my sister overslept and woke with a sever head ache because her body was craving diazepam. She noticed this on a few occasions.

Halo

I am sorry to hear that your sister is having a difficult time with her medication.

You say that diazepam is very addictive and it very well may be but for some the benefits far outweigh the risks in taking certain medications. Given that everyone is unique and requires medications for different reasons, no one can determine what medication (addicitive or not) is right for anyone else.

Obviously you think that diazepam is not right for your sister but it may be right for someone else.

id be on prescription meds but i decided to take natural drugs. So i take kava kava and opium when needed. I have to be dependant on some drug to help with anxiety so why does it have to be a prescription drugs you know? either ths or id be on benzos of course.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
id be on prescription meds but i decided to take natural drugs.

Some of the most natural drugs are also the most deadly. Hemlock is just one example. Prescription medications are more thoroughly studied for long-term side effects.

either ths or id be on benzos of course.

How can you even compare opium to safe benzos like Klonopin?

Retired

Benzodiazepines are generally safe when taken at prescibed doses for the length of time prescribed by the doctor.

Addiction or habituation seems to be linear with dose and time. High doses for long periods of time can cause habituation.

Diazepam may be causing the unwanted reactions because of drug / drug interactions, for which this compound is known.

You may wish to discuss all the medications, both prescription and over the counter with the prescribing physician and/or pharmacist.

These would include cough and cold preparations, any meds used for indegestion, and especially alcohol.

An alternative might be to ask the doctor to prescribe an alternate benzodiazepine with less potential for interaction.

Vinton

I was put on clonazepam in 88 at 2.5 mgs and it made a huge difference. In 2000 I decided to get off it and since then its been hell but I wont quit.Two years ago the GP gave me 150 mgs of effexor and I felt better and last spring I was at 0.75 mgs and made a gradual cut to nothing as of 3 weeks ago.

Im still very anxious but I just cant go back..

I'm hanging in till my GABA receptors start working again..

Retired

150 mgs of effexor and I felt better and last spring I was at 0.75 mgs and made a gradual cut to nothing as of 3 weeks ago

Over what period of time did you taper the dosage to where you were medication free?

Was the withdrawl from Effexor a comfortable experience, overall?

Im still very anxious but I just cant go back..

What is your reservation, Vinton, about treating your anxiety with medication?

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.