More threads by Mari

Mari

MVP
My sister has recommended the book The Explosive Child but until I have a chance to read it I am looking for some ideas. I need to protect myself but I am not sure how. Who on the team should I appeal to? The family, the school team, my counselor? I can handle a three year old temper tantrum but how do I handle a thirteen year old?

making_art

Hello Marie,

Sounds like you need help ASAP if you feel you need to protect yourself from this child's explosive behaviour. I am assuming you are the caregiver or parent of a child on the Autism Spectrum?

Behaviour management starts by determining what the function of the behaviour is. Is it to avoid something or gain something? It is best to document when the behaviour occurs and what happens just before and just after the behaviour. Record what is said and done just before and just after? Where and when does the behaviour happen? This will give you a better perspective on the cause or triggers for the behaviour which can be the beginning to your behaviour modification program.

I would use all of the people you outlined above to help you deal with this. If there are consistent ways of coping with behaviour problems at school and at home that is the best approach.

This example of a question and answer may be helpful:

Autism: 13 year old Aggressive Autistic son, autism, autistic

Hun i would definelty talk to your councillor use help for school if they have councillors there to talk with your child. Therapy for child maybe a good step as well If you feel endanger hun call for help okay crisis line have a phone number ready if things get out of hand

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.