More threads by David Baxter PhD

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
In my e-mail today from the Albert Ellis Institute:​
We would like to announce that in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and a grant that the Albert Ellis Institute received, we at AEI are able to offer a reduced rate of $60.00 [USD] per session for individual therapy services with our highly qualified advanced pre-doctoral therapists for up to 12 sessions.​
Even though the Albert Ellis Institute is currently working remotely, we are accepting new patients for both Individual and Group therapy. All appointments at this time will be conducted virtually. Please call the Institute at (212) 535-0822 or email info@albertellis.org for more information and to schedule a virtual appointment.​

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Pay-what-you-can Zoom support groups, moderated mostly by licensed therapists (including some in Canada):

"Peer support recovery is the future of behavioral health."

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Hotlines in the U.S:

Emergency Resources
(800) 273-8255National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
(800) 799-7233National Domestic Violence Hotline
(800) 273-8255Veterans Crisis Line
(800) 442-4673National Hopeline Network
(800) 366-8288Self-Harm Hotline
(800) 448-3000Boys Town National Hotline
(800) 656-4673National Sexual Assault Telephone Hotline
(800) 622-2255Alcoholism & Drug Dependency Hope Line

Source: SonderMind.com

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

You can get FREE money for therapy by opening up an HSA or FSA account.

To set up an HSA or FSA, contact your HR department. Most companies will offer HSAs and FSAs as a regular benefit to their employees.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Health Savings Account (HSA), Medical Savings Account (MSA), or Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA)

Each of these allow employees to set aside pre-tax dollars from their income for future medical expenses. Contributions are made by the client and/or employer, depending on the account. Funds can be used for deductibles, copayments, and qualified health expenses that aren’t covered by insurance, such as those provided by out-of-network providers.

A Flexible Spending Account (FSA) allows for reimbursement of healthcare AND childcare/dependent care expenses.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

We support equality and acceptance by providing a safe space to every identity.

With Pride Counseling you can have professional therapy for only $80 per week, charged every 4 weeks. Unlike traditional in-office therapy which can cost $150-$180 for a single session, your Pride Counseling membership includes text, video, and audio messaging, as well as weekly live sessions. The subscription is billed and renewed every 4 weeks. It includes both the use of the secured site and the therapy service itself.

If you can't afford therapy, you may be eligible to receive financial aid - click here to apply.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
My own online/telehealth therapist in Arizona only charges $75-$80 for video sessions, which is similar to the sliding scale fees of some therapists. I started seeing her last year, and she is the most "client centered" therapist I have seen in Arizona (without enabling my OCD).

(Since I have a Medicare Advantage plan, most therapists do not take my insurance. But I am reimbursed for out-of-network providers since I have a PPO.)

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Many of the private psychiatric providers listed at PsychologyToday also offer online sessions. This is the option I have recently chosen for psychiatric care (video sessions with a psych nurse practitioner in my state). If I have any problems, she is very easy to reach between appointments.

And regarding meds in general, Amazon provides an online pharmacy as does GoodRx. Amazon's online pharmacy can also show co-pay prices, based on one's exact insurance.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Mark Cuban's answer to high drug prices (starting with just generics for now):

"Every product we sell is priced exactly the same way: our cost plus 15%, plus the pharmacy fee, if any. When you get your medicine from Cost Plus Drug Co., you’ll always know exactly how we arrived at the price you pay. And as we grow and our costs go down, we will always pass those savings on to you!"

Listing of mental health drugs (generics):

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
And regarding meds in general, Amazon provides an online pharmacy as does GoodRx. Amazon's online pharmacy can also show co-pay prices, based on one's exact insurance.

Example of how Amazon's pharmacy shows pricing (with my insurance) for the very expensive medication Rexulti (30 tablets):
Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 4.52.13 PM.jpg

Like other drug manufacturers, Rexulti's manufacturer also provides financial assistance for those with employer or individual insurance:

Similar medications at GoodRx, including cheap generics like Abilify/aripiprazole for $13 and Zyprexa/olanzapine for $11:

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Some people are finding ways to lower out-of-pocket therapy costs by reducing the frequency of their sessions to once a month from three to four.

Others are turning to their loved ones for support, with 38% of the 1,000 survey participants reporting that they required financial assistance from someone else to pay for therapy.

What’s more: even people whose therapy sessions are covered in part by insurance worry that they will struggle to afford it long-term. Over 60% of participants, including those with insurance, report that they pay out-of-pocket therapy costs, with a total average of $178 each month...

If it’s becoming harder for you to afford mental health care, consider these options recommended by Morin:
  • Discuss payment options with your therapist
  • Try group therapy, which can often be cheaper
  • Do online therapy — some services require a monthly fee, rather than payment for each session
  • Read self-help books
  • Listen to podcasts by therapists
  • Join a support group
  • Call the national crisis lifeline at 988 if you urgently need someone to speak to
“For society as a whole, there’s a cost in not treating people who have mental health issues,” Morin says, “Prevention and early intervention can be key to helping people resolve their symptoms and feel their best.”

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Another company, Mindful Care, offers urgent care for mental health issues and has 15 offices across the country [in CT, FL, IL, NJ, and NY], including three in Chicago. Mindful takes all types of insurance, including managed Medicaid.

“We’ve been very, very busy seeing people who want access to care when they’re having symptoms and not wait six to eight weeks,” said CEO Dr. Tamir Aldad, who thought of the idea while earning an MBA at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business.

Part of the way Mindful manages financially is by limiting therapy visits to 20 to 40 minutes each. “A one-hour session is just unsustainable the way the system is designed,” he said.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.