More threads by HBas

HBas

Finding Purpose
By Dustin Wax
Stepcase Lifehack
March 17th, 2009

At the beginning of the semester, I asked my students a simple question.

See, I teach an unusual class, a core requirement that fulfills not just a social science or humanity requirement but also fulfills my university's diversity requirement. In practical terms, that means that students working on satisfying their general education requirement can take just my class instead of having to take two classes to satisfy the same requirement.

So I already know why my classes are packed every semester. I know why they're there. And it's pretty damn boring. So this semester I handed out cards and asked them to answer a question for me: what do you hope you learn in this class?

I explained to them, you're here for 16 weeks. 16 weeks that can be like a prison sentence, each of you just waiting for the warden to open the doors, give you your two requirement credits, and let you free - or we can find some way to make those 16 weeks worth your while, some way for each of you to leave this classroom with something of value to you.

When I went through the cards at the end of the day, there were a few people who'd taken up the challenge, but well over ? of them gave the same answer: I'm just here for the requirement. They chose prison over learning, jail over purpose.

Wow.

I mean, just - wow.

Most people find themselves doing things for no real purpose at all. It's just "what's done".

Think about that. How many things do you do that you "need" to do or "simply must" - without having any greater purpose of your own?

Many things we think of as ends in themselves really aren't ends at all - they're means to an end, means to our own ends. Passing a class, keeping a job, cleaning your house - these are things we do (hopefully!) for a greater purpose - not just towards a goal, but in pursuit of our own personal growth.

But it's easy - too easy - to lose track of that purpose and start treadmilling through our days as if getting through yet another day were the whole of life.

That path leads to despair!

The remedy is simple enough - - a few calm minutes with yourself every week or so to reflect on what you do and why you do it. Maybe a chart or mindmap listing your major activities and your purpose in doing them.

In the end, the key isn't having the "best" or the "right" purpose (which only you could say, anyway). The key is to lead a considered life, to find the threads that hold it all together and to be aware when the skein of your life slips out of your grasp.

How many things do you do every day that, if asked, you'd be hard pressed to explain why you're doing them?

How many tasks have no meaning at all for you, no real "fit" in the Big Picture of your life?

Isn't it time to start thinking about that -- getting rid of the stuff that has no purpose, and learning anew to appreciate the important stuff whose purpose you'd forgotten along the way?

y-bloc

Wow. The results you got back from your class are alarming. Maybe human nature is defined by what humans do, but it's a real downer that such an overwhelming part of that seems to be just to follow the dotted line to the end of the road...like lichen on a rock growing a millimeter every thousand years, expending the least possible amount of energy for the only 'truly important' things in life, food, shelter, reproduction/continued existence. It's hard to understand why we live that way when we have the choice...when we could do anything at any given moment besides mindlessly following the map to 'Z'. A step could even having little intermittent 'purposes' like learning something today that you didn't know yesterday, or working on a fragment of a greater purpose like taking note of different tree species while out walking, or even more constructive uses of time like walking instead of sitting or going to the Turkish grocery instead of the Safeway for once...Not to mention really applying our minds to learning something new and real(making the most of a university course not because you have to, but because you want to and you can).
A little girl I lived with 8 years ago asked me one morning why light comes out of the bulb when I flip the switch. I really wanted to give her a clear simple answer, but I couldn't do it. It made me think a lot about how little we know about almost everything, and how little we care about not knowing.
On the brighter side, I have dreams, and I follow them like a bloodhound...and I know a few people who live quite the same way, but being true to yourself requires you to be unconventional, and a lot of people are terrified of stepping out of line.

HBas

Hey Y-bloc,

Thanks for the awesome responce :thankyou2:

The article was written by Dustin Wax but I felt exactly like you describe it and for that reason decided to post it ... you put in words what I failed to :)

So true and I have to kick myself time and time again to Wake Up ... we become numb so quickly!

I never use to untlill about three years ago and boy, did I step way out of line! I was rather nasty in some things I did but that also woke me up a bit and I realized that you should follow your head and heart from the start and not go numb and eventually hurt people when you wake up and move forward 500 steps when you should have been taking a step every day! :panic:

:2thumbs:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.