More threads by boi

boi

Hey Everyone,
I haven't been online for a while probably because I am feeling better. I am currently on risperidone and zoloft and I forgot to take it. Probably secretly I didn't want to take the zoloft because it makes me so tired. I believe I will be switching antidepressants for sure. Either way, should I take the dose or just wait for tomorrow? hope everyone is feeling ok...

Thanks

Re: Forget to take meds

i think it's fine for you to take the dose now. sometimes i forget my anti-depressant and then i just take it when i remember. i am assuming you usually take it in the morning?

another thought, if the zoloft makes you tired, you could switch to taking it in the evenings instead of in the mornings. that way you'll be sleeping anyway :)

Retired

The decision as to whether a missed dose should be taken prior to the next scheduled dose depends on the biologic half life of the medication in question.

The half life of Zoloft (sertraline) is about 26 hours.

That means that for every day that passes without taking the medication the level in the blood falls by 50%. After one day the level is reduced to 50% of the original level, after two days to 25%, after three days to 12.5%, and so on.

When one stops Zoloft too rapidly a withdrawal syndrome may develop. Among the symptoms that may be experienced are nausea, tremors, lightheadedness, muscle pains, weakness, insomnia, and anxiety. While most people coming off Zoloft have none of these symptoms, some people do have one or more. The withdrawal symptoms usually last 1-2 weeks but in some instances they may gradually decrease over a period as long as a month. It is generally recommended that one taper off this medication gradually under a doctor's supervision. Check with your own personal physician for specific instructions.

That being said, if you are less than 15 hours before your next scheduled dose, you may as well wait until the next dose...and if you can, take it a bit sooner than you normally would.

As for feeling drowsy, you should report that to your doctor, as it may require a dose adjustment. The drowsiness may also go away with time, as your brain chemistry becomes accustomed to the dose you are taking.

In any case, your best advice would be to tell your doctor you're feeling drowsy and follow the doctor's advice.

Let us know how you make out.

boi

thanks alot for your responses. I believe I will wait now till tomorrow. TSOW, I am still feeling tired after 2 months of the antidepressant so I will be speaking to my doctor about this again. Into the light, that is a good idea asking my doctor if I can take it at night instead. That might help. I feel so tired taking it, I am unproductive and do not want to do anything

thanks for all your help

Misha

I've had a hard time with my meds too lately. I have such a hard time getting up in the morning (because I'm not taking my meds) that I end up forgetting to take my meds.... viscious cycle. I always remember my night meds so I'll talk to my doc about taking all my meds at night.

Retired

I've had a hard time with my meds too lately

It often helps to tie taking your medications with another activity you perform daily.

For some people it's brushing teeth, so the meds dispenser is next to the tooth brush. For others it's breakfast, so the meds are next to the cereal bowl, and are taken with breakfast.

Think about something you do daily without fail, and keep your meds associated with that activity.

Another helpful strategy is to get one of those daily medication dispensers sold in dollar stores and pharmacies. By setting out your meds in each box labeled with the day, you will know if you've forgotten your meds that week.

Check with your doctor about what time of day each of your meds should be taken, and if you need to avoid certain foods with any of your meds. Grapefruit juice is frequently avoided with certain meds.

Finally if any of your meds are taken more than once a day, you should absolutely get one of those pill dispensers because the more times a day a medication has to be taken, the more likelihood there is to forget a dose.

:rx:

Misha

I am now taking all my meds at bedtime. I feel much better these last few days. :)
Having an eating disorder, it was hard for me to use breakfast as a reminder for meds. And I was under the impression that keeping meds in the bathroom was a bad thing (?)... or so my mom always taught me.

Retired

keeping meds in the bathroom was a bad thing (?)...

If they are in a closed vial, the risk of degradation is minimal, especially if used during the time expected..a couple of months.

If the bathroom happens to be particularly humid, then Mom would be right, the meds should be in a cool, dry and dark place.

Interestingly, some medications lose their effectiveness when exposed to sunlight, which is why some tablets are individually foil wrapped in a dispenser.

Oral contraceptives would be a good example of this type of medication.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.