More threads by Clancey

Clancey

That was a big deal for you. I know I don't think about what goes on behind the curtain. What it takes to maintain a forum type website. Did computers and the Net come naturally for you, or was there a huge learning curve? I notice you advertise a website development service. You also teach, so how do you balance the whole thing? In another post you shared about depression. How do you have time to get depressed? Yeah, I know, it's the mechanics of depression. It affects a person regardless.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Yeah you don't have to have time to be depressed. It finds the time for you. :)

I was always interested in computers. I was originally going to make it a career but I got sidetracked into psychology for a few decades. Back in the old days, before PCs, I wrote my first programs using punch cards and a mainframe. Now that was an adventure.

It remained an interest over the years... even when I was doing other things. And gradually, computers became more and more omnipresent in pretty much every field, so my previous experience and interest came in handy.

Retired

David Baxter said:
Back in the old days, before PCs, I wrote my first programs using punch cards and a mainframe

David's original computer:

antique_steampunk_workstation.jpg

Needed to keep the pilot light from blowing out under the steam kettle!

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Not quite that old... :)

The two I remember best are

the IBM360:

ibm100__system_360__360genrl__620x350.jpg

and the Burroughs 6700 which replaced the IBM at Queen's University:

burroughs6700.jpg

Apparently they all came with pretty young women...

This is a punch card... you might need to create a few thousand of these or more, each with a single line of code for the compiler:

ibm-80-column-punched-card1.jpg

And one of the machines used to create those and sort those cards:

IBM punch card console.jpg

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
That would require the patience of a saint. And if you drop your deck of punch cards.... :panic:

I did that once, debugging a program. I was trying to do one last compile before the computing center closed late at night and rushing to the card feeder I dropped them all over the floor.

Now the card punch machine could sort your cards for you automatically in just a few minutes... IF you numbered them sequentially.

I hadn't bothered to number them. What could go wrong?

After sorting about 2000 cards manually, that was the last time I didn't number them.

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
It's simply stunning to think of how many obsolete pieces of equipment must exist in the world and how quickly they become so. I really hope that governments etc will make more and more responsible decisions about recycling and disposing of it all. (As well as about planned obsolescence, which I started reading about..... Ugh.)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I see that happening more and more in Canada. You can drop off electronics to be recycled or provided to 3rd world countries in many stores and locations now.

Clancey

In the world, don't forget the ocean and even on Mt Everest. Seems I read that there was numerous obsoletes orbiting in space. Fortunately in regards to electronics, everything seems to be getting smaller. Requires less space for dumping.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Some of us are a little slower and rustier than we used to be but yes, we're still here plugging along. :)

Happy to see you back again, Pop Alexandra. :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.