More threads by Retired

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
TSOW said:
You may be interested in knowing that Yahoo intends to acquire AOL...is that irony or what
Indeed. Especially since Google bought 5% of AOL last year. That would mean that Google would own part of Yahoo :panic:

foghlaim

i'm not sure what to do.. one of my sons is raving about firefox and installed on my p.c but i think it just slowed everything else down and so uninstalled it.. I'm thinking if it's not broken why fix it?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I think for most people, IE7 is an easy and trouble-free upgrade. If it creates a problem on your computer, you can simply uninstall it and roll back to IE6.

However, IE6 is being faded out so eventually you'll want to upgrade.

Indeed. Especially since Google bought 5% of AOL last year. That would mean that Google would own part of Yahoo :panic:

I had heard that "Talk Talk" which is british company and part of Carphonewarehouse had brought the internet side of AOL here, "Talk Talk" have got themselves into trouble recently over offering free broadband for life, and not delivering the goods, looks like Aol might get worse:eek: Do you think I could get on the internet using a bubonic rat:D :D

stargazer

David, if that's the case (maybe for me but not for you, since you alluded to waiting) I'll probably go ahead and install IE7. (The new laptop came with IE6.) Foghlaim, I've noticed that the younger set often raves about Mozilla, so I installed it on my last system, but to this day I wonder why. Guess I'm just not in tune with some of the subtle nuances of certain browsers. In fact, I think IE6 is fine--I'm just wondering what's in store with IE7.

Last edited:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Update:

1. Internet Explorer 7
I have IE7 installed and running well here.

I'm not sure I'm crazy about the new user interface. I had to do some rearranging to get things back to even close to the way I like them, and it was necessary to go into Tools | Internet Options | Security settings to set Custom settings for the Internet Zone (for example, it was blocking javascript popups for my own forum, as is the case when you click on the link button to enter a URL).

However, it's running smoothly now. I noticed when I installed it that it first downloaded IE7 updates so I assume they are fixing bugs as they find them.

2. Firefox 2.0

Thought I'd give this a try, too. Conclusion: Worse than FF 1.5x. Slow as molasses. A slug in mid-winter (Canadian winter).

Full disclosure: I have never been a fan of Firefox. This version didn't change my mind at all. I think it's worse than the previous version.

stargazer

I'm not sure I'm crazy about the new user interface. I had to do some rearranging to get things back to even close to the way I like them...

I downloaded it over the weekend, and my experience echoes yours. It's taking some getting used to. Otherwise, it's running well. I'm probably not as hip to the subtleties of browsers as some of you are, so I'm not real sure how IE7 exceeds IE6.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It's mainly in enhanced security features (some of which are a bit annoying) and in tabbed browsing, which I can live without.

By the way, you'll also have to adjust your Security settings to allow animated gif's, assuming you want to do that. Like I said, annoying. :rolleyes:

stargazer

Me being a relative luddite, I found Mozilla's tab browsing features to be annoying because I was always inadvertently closing the windows I wanted to leave open, while trying only to close others. So I could live without it as well. It does have its advantages though, obviously.

ThatLady

Personally, I'm still running IE6. I'm perfectly happy with it, and I can't see fixing what isn't broken (as far as I'm concerned) until they force me to do so. I'd read a little about IE7 and could tell from what I read that I wasn't going to be particularly fond of some of the changes. I just don't feel I really need that irritation.

Retired

I wonder if there's a way to simply downgrade to IE6?

Yes, very simple! Control Panel | Add Remove Programs | Internet Explorer 7

Select Uninstall.

It's a lengthy uninstall, but your IE6 will be returned to the way it was prior to the IE7 installation. The uninstall will require a restart.

stargazer

OK, that's what I was wondering (if I'd have a browser left after removing the program.) Before I do this, however, I want to make sure I'm keen on IE7 advantages. Specifically, it seems to me that the fonts are more pronounced and clearer. But maybe that's just my new system, or my eyes, now that I've finally set up the laptop at home.

Halo

Personally, I'm still running IE6. I'm perfectly happy with it, and I can't see fixing what isn't broken (as far as I'm concerned) until they force me to do so. I'd read a little about IE7 and could tell from what I read that I wasn't going to be particularly fond of some of the changes. I just don't feel I really need that irritation.

I agree completely. I don't need to mess with a good thing....I am happy with the way things are running now so as you said TL can't see fixing what isn't broken....IE6 it is for me....maybe when I have learned more patience and tolerance I will think of IE7 :)

Retired

See THIS MS TOPIC discussing uninstalling IE7.

One of the features in the installation announcement is the ability to roll back to IE6, which is what I did due to an unexpected interaction with my email client.

This likely won't happen with Outlook Express, and may be limited to the particular email client I use.

seems to me that the fonts are more pronounced and clearer.

I believe there is a documented feature in IE7 which improves visibility of content.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
SG said:
it seems to me that the fonts are more pronounced and clearer.
Your eyes are not playing tricks on you... The default in IE7 is to use ClearType in rendering the fonts on web pages so your perception is correct.

TL said:
I'm still running IE6. I'm perfectly happy with it, and I can't see fixing what isn't broken
The problem is that in a short while Microsoft will stop supporting IE6, so as new security vulnerabilities are discovered there will be no patches to fix them. That means that as time goes on your system will become increasingly vulnerable and exposed.

Last edited:

stargazer

Your eyes are playing tricks on you... The default in IE7 is to use ClearType in rendering the fonts on web pages so your perception is correct.

My eyes *are* playing tricks on me, or they are not? I hear you saying they are, and then saying that my "perception is correct." I'm confused. All I know is everything is clearer, and if this is attributable to "ClearType" (whatever that is), then life is fine.

The problem is that in a short while Microsoft will stop supporting IE6, so as new security vulnerabilities are discovered there will be no patches to fix them. That means that as time goes on your system will become increasingly vulnerable and exposed.

Well, given that information, I think I'll stick with IE7, and gradually get to know its features.

ThatLady

Yeah, I'm aware I'll have to upgrade sooner or later. However, I'll take later. I've got pretty good protection on my system and have never had a virus or spyware. When I must do the deed, I'll do the deed ... albeit, grudgingly. :p

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.