More threads by Jesse910

Ultimately, it is not the shrink, psychologist, internist, family member or friend who keeps us alive. It is the internal rudder within that navigates our world. I have experienced utter despair, excruciating loneliness, and a palatable sense of frustration and longing for something that would raise me above the fog that once again attempts to grip me within its clutches. Today, has been 24 hours of near failure.

I've had several things to come up this week that could be triggering this spiral. (1) I lost my mother six years ago and she was my best friend. Mother's Day came and gone. Although I am a mother, I still struggle to let the day be about me now. I lived in my mother's shadow and was there for her in her final illness. She was a very strong personality in my life and did not accept weakness within her children. Despite her inability to openly love me, I loved her in the manner I wanted to be loved. Yes, she is gone, but she continues to pop up. (2) Work has proven to be very stressful. I love my job but the load has been incredibly heavy. In my line of work, you must compartmentalize and forge ahead and keep your feelings neutral or you will be eaten alive by the massive egos. (3) I was molested as a child by a teenaged girl. And, while it was only one time, coupled with my mother's inability to love and her penchant for anger, I am afraid to be in close proximity with women. And, while I was assaulted again as an adult by a boyfriend and later by my husband, I feel more comfortable with men. I was suppose to have an ultra-sound of my thyroid the other day. I had requested a male tech. There was only a female. Considering how long it took to get the appointment, I opted to try and I JUST FAILED. Lying down on the table and having her lean over me was too much. And, even though she told me what she was going to do before she did it, I balked and left before it was over. I AM NOT A WIMP. I AM A VERY STRONG-WILLED WOMAN WHO CALLS HER OWN SHOTS. However, I FAILED myself. I am crying at inappropriate times at home and struggling. I'm am consistently taking my meds. I'm going to stare down this thing and win. I will not give in.

You do not need to be strong on your own hun You do not have to fight the darkness the pain and sadness alone don't do that ok Your medication how long have you been on it. Perhaps time to ask doctor to get it upped a bit or changed
YOu are not a wimp and you did not fail anything hun the triggers were to many that all
You rebook the test ok

It takes strength to reach out to trust others with your pain do that ok Do not fight the demons alone don't

I am sorry hun you are so sad and in so much emotional pain hugs to you

Max10

Taking charge of our triggers caused by the past abuse is so hard. It can be paralyzing or cause us to jump up and flee the scene. Perhaps at the next thyroid scan closing your eyes and envisioning a pleasant memory could help you get through it. It doesn't take long (I've had 3 scans of mine) and is a painless procedure. One thing I do is bring my headphones and mp3 player, put on some music loud enough to block what's going on around me and close my eyes. Perhaps this could help you get through this procedure.
Take care....

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
When we decide that something is crossing the boundary of what we want and are okay with, and is too much of a trigger right now, maybe we do not have to view that as our failure. Really, is it?

Really, they messed up what you quite reasonably requested of them - THEY failed YOU.

It is okay to have some ways that we choose to avoid certain triggers.
I am so sorry those things happened to you.

To have feelings and feel vulnerable is not to fail. To acknowledge and respect feelings that come up, and the way they may affect us, is strong.

Feelings are allowed and to have them, acknowledge them, and seek support with them, as you have done, is strong. Not failure.

Thinking of you. xox

Max10, Forgetmenot, and MHealthJo, thank you for your concern. I feel more like myself today -- less depressed and far less fog. I feel like I can take care of myself again without worry. As for the ultrasound, it happened. My husband is my best friend and partner. The game plan is that from now on, when I have to do medical testing that presents a possible trigger, he has promised to be with me. And, thanks for reminding me that there are situations that are out of my control that don't signify failure. Take care.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.