More threads by jo will

jo will

I am having a hard time telling any part of my trauma. When I do expose some or part of the secret, I have major reprecussions. Feeling overwhelmed, disconnected (not present), numb, anger. Will I ever feel safe now that I told? What is the best way to deal with it?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Re: Diagnostic criteria for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder

Jo, do you have a therapist currently?

You are going to need someone with some training and expertise to guide you safely through this process.

jo will

I do have a therapist. I have already spent 32 weeks of my life in Homewood learning coping strategies and undergoing therapy. I was doing very well for the past two years. I started having flashbacks again about a month ago, I am able to sleep with medication, but it is not restful. It's like I go into another world full of fighting and emotion. I wake up tired and my body hurts. I recently had to expose my abusive past to someone and now I am in this emotional/mental fague like I was before when I was at Homewood.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

That can happen with PTSD. :(

How often do you see your therapist? Is your therapist treating you specifically for PTSD and, if so, using what approaches?

Are you on medication currently?

jo will

I haven't seen my therapist in a few months, although I did spend a half hour with her on the phone the other morning. I am on Effexor and my nighttime medication is Trazadone. I have scheduled to see my psyciatrist for Monday. I am doing a little better today. The dissociative state I was in has eased up, I feel more connected with the world and my kids.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

I would recommend that you resume sessions with your therapist to help you work through these new triggers.

kimmy

May you use some medications, because they have shown benefit in reducing PTSD symptoms...

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.