More threads by under the sun

Hi there.

I registered just over a week ago and thought I'd introduce myself to the moderators, "regulars," and passers-by to this site.

I'll start with saying I'm female, late 20s, living in the province of Ontario, and I'm not sure where to start or what's "wrong" with me...but in short:

• - I am highly disorganized and my officespace is in total disarray;
    - I find it terribly difficult to focus and concentrate. I have difficulty completing tasks, despite writing a "to do" list every morning;
    - It takes me a long while to draft a letter, memo, email or document;
    - I postpone or avoid speaking to others over the telephone or in person, preferring to use email as my main mode of communication (this includes family members);
    - I have this uncanny ability to remember birthdates, phone numbers, and I can recite my debit card, credit card and social insurance numbers at the drop of a hat;
    - My mind draws blanks when asked for an opinion. I feel as though I can't think for myself or form my own opinions;
    - Despite what I think is poor job performance, I still have good-to-superior evaluations every year;
    - I get anxious when having to enter a room with many people; and
    - I went through a series of tests last year and was found to have an "above average" IQ, with perhaps a mild form of attention deficit disorder.
    [/list:u]
    On top of that, my general practioner diagnosed me as having depression two years ago and was prescribed Effexor XR, which I've since stopped taking.

I have recently completed a two week trial of Dexedrine and am now testing out Ritalin. So far, I've noticed no difference in my abilities to focus or concentrate on tasks.

I am also trying cognitive behavioural therapy.

Any thoughts or comments? I am seriously at my wit's end!

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
As I've said many times, it's a mistake to try to diagnose someone from a distance but it rather sounds to me like you may have an anxiety disorder. If so, the concern is that taking stimulants may make it worse...

How did the Effexor affect you and how long did you take it?

Hi David (it's ok to call you "David," no?),

I understand what you mean, and I apologize if I made it sound like I was looking for a diagnosis...

I was just looking to introduce myself, explain my situation and hope for some direction...

I took Effexor for about a year. I don't recall it doing great things for me. I still felt "blue" and anxious. The withdrawl was horrible.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
under the sun said:
Hi David (it's ok to call you "David," no?)
Sure, anything but late for dinner as the old joke goes...

I understand what you mean, and I apologize if I made it sound like I was looking for a diagnosis...
You didn't... that's just a standard disclaimer as a preface to my later remarks, to ensure that no one takes them as a diagnosis per se.

I took Effexor for about a year. I don't recall it doing great things for me. I still felt "blue" and anxious. The withdrawl was horrible.
Effexor and Paxil can produce unpleasant discontinuation effects if you don't taper off, that's true. But there are a lot of other choices now besides those two -- there really isn't any reason for people to suffer with either the symptoms or adverse side-effects any more.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.