More threads by Been there Done that

It seems like all my life I have dealt with thoughts like "What would happen if I took my life?" and constant suicidal themes. I have no desire to die and I have only overdosed once but I keep having suicidal thoughts. How about any one else? What is your say about this?

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
A reminder of an older thread of yours: http://forum.psychlinks.ca/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/24592-im-not-the-only-one.html

What is your say about this?

In addition to reading Brain Lock or other self-help materials, I would see a therapist or psychologist.

Basically, the general problem with OCD is not the obsessive/intrusive/unwanted thoughts but one's reaction to them, which keeps the cycle going.

Also, lifestyle factors like social isolation, etc. can increase stress/anxiety, which can trigger/exacerbate OCD symptoms.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
From another thread in October 2010:

I understand your fear. Are you (with no offence to non religious people) religious? What we believe shapes our thinking.
I have phantaphobia in the form of OCD-this means a fear that I will commit morbid acts to cause death to myself. I will never want to hurt myself I just struggle with what if I do this or do that? (like fall down when going in that dark garage causing death or being clumsy! Does this make sense?
I hope so!

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/fears-and-phobias/16119-fear-of-death-2.html#post176817

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I do find it interesting that you had mentioned in late November that were feeling bored much of the day. That could easily be a breeding ground for ruminative/obsessive thinking, at least if you are less active than you would like to be. To summarize Brain Lock: "Stay busy" and when you recognize that you are obsessing, refocus on the task at hand, which is easier to do when the task is interesting or meaningful to you. (From a more existential perspective, death anxiety decreases when one is more active/vital/engaged and experiencing life in the here-and-now. And mortality salience decreases with mindful awareness.)

One could say the "gift" of having to deal with OCD/anxiety is becoming more aware of the importance of living in the present. And I have found therapy helpful not only for reducing OCD symptoms but also in feeling more present/alive.

Also:

Treating obsessing...is not a matter of getting rid of the thoughts or images. It is getting to the point where you don’t care whether or not they are present...

Your immediate thought is: “Oh no, there it is again; I can’t believe it...” Without meaning to, you are off and running into your wishing it was gone. And just like it is hard for an alcoholic to stop drinking once s/he has started, so too is it hard for you to stop obsessing once you’ve started.

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/17023-the-cruelest-obsession-obsessing-about-obsessing.html

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.