More threads by Ireland

Retired

Hello Ireland, and welcome to Pyschlinks.

I believe the brain surgery procedure you're referring to is called Deep Brain Stimulation or DBS.

This Psychlinks post provides some insights into DBS.

It is considered a treatment of last resort in the most severe cases and is not performed universally or routinely.

It is by no means a first line of therapy, and still has significant risks associated with it, including seizures after the procedure is done along with the potential severe psychiatric disorders.

Have you discussed this option with your physician and is the procedure being performed where you live?

Ireland

Drastic yes. Right now there is nothing that helps to me. There is alot I want to do. But the TS is out control. I do not want to go through Dr.S I dislike him he has never done a follow up. As my mum would say Dr.S is a SWINE....
If you know any Drs that can help me I would appreciate it. Due to the TS and how severe is it I rarley go out.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Where are you located Ireland? We can try to look up resources for you. Our member base is in many countries.

Retired

SWINE....

Ireland,

We will do our best to help, but calling people names in posts cannot be tolerated. If you are not happy with a particular health care provider, you have the option to seek out another.

Have you been in contact with the Tourette Syndrome Foundation or the local chapter for any guidance?

Ireland

Ireland,

We will do our best to help, but calling people names in posts cannot be tolerated. If you are not happy with a particular health care provider, you have the option to seek out another.

Have you been in contact with the Tourette Syndrome Foundation or the local chapter for any guidance?
Hello Steve,
I am sorry, but if you know what I been through with Dr.S you would understand. Now I am a born again Christian sine Mar 15 1996. Now I do not use any bad words and a swine is a polite way instead of bad words. Look into Irish and British slang. This is my hearitage and if you do not like then please cancel my membership.
Thank you

Jazzey

Account Closed
Hi Ireland,

I do want to welcome you to this forum. But Steve is correct. Here, we do not show any form of disrespect, for anyone here or off the forum. This is a public place.

While you are definitely entitled to your opinions, some opinions don't need to be shared so overtly here. May I ask that you review the forum rules.

If however you are not happy with this forum, please feel free to not return. But that would be a shame since there is a wealth of information and support for you here.

Your post to Steve is disrespectful and won't be tolerated here either.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Ireland:

The website for the Tourette Syndrome Foundation of Canada is Tourette Syndrome Foundation of Canada and their head office is in Toronto:

194 Jarvis St
Toronto, ON M5B, Canada
(416) 861-8398

There is a web page for the Toronto chapter at Tourette Syndrome Foundation of Canada - Chapters - Greater Toronto

Greater Toronto Chapter Contacts:
TSFC Greater Toronto Chapter
677 Carlaw Ave.,
Toronto, ON M4K 3K7
Info Line: (416) 799-6976
Email: Greater Toronto Chapter

You might also find this site helpful: Life's A Twitch! Tourettes Syndrome & Tics Site by Dr. B. Duncan McKinlay, C.Psych. is based on the study and clinical work of B. Duncan McKinlay, Ph.D., C.Psych., or "Dr. Dunc", who is an Ontario psychologist who has Tourette Syndrome himself and who works with Tic Disorders and a variety of other disorders and conditions including Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Intermittent Explosive Disorder (IED) or 'rage', sensory processing dysfunction, Learning Disabilities, Nonverbal Learning Disorder, depression, and anxiety.

Dr. McKinlay has published a book titled Nix Your Tics! Eliminate Unwanted Tic Symptoms: A How-To Guide For Young People.

Retired

To read published material on the subject of Deep Brain Stimulation and Tourette Syndrome, the following Search For Articles on DBS will more than adequately provide some insights.

It should be noted most of these articles are technical medical publications, and the Statement from the Tourette Syndrome Association (U.S.A.) updated 8/2008 should give an accurate assessment of this particular procedure in clear layman's terms.

The procedure is performed at Mayo Clinic; some insights from Mayo on DBS can be found HERE and HERE.

The main points I conclude from these articles:

• DBS is still experimental
  • DBS has not shown that benefits outweigh risks based on experience to date
  • DBS is generally reserved for patients in whom pharmacologic and other treatments are no longer effective or who have disabling adverse effects from medical treatments.
  • Not all patients with a given disorder are candidates.
  • DBS is very expensive and is not performed everywhere

My neurologist is considering this operation should it be necessary. I think that in some cases, it is a good way of dealing with it.

busybee

It seems relevant that this was posted as tonight on our local television station in Brisbane Australia on Yahoo7.com they were showing this procedure mentioned above and using it successfully for various illnesses including TS, MS, Parkinsons as well.

Wish you luck on your life's journey

Retired

Wombat,

According to what I have read to date on DBS, it is usually considered as a treatment of last resort due to the high risk of adverse effects. Medical decisions for treatement options take a benefits vs risks and you may wish to discuss with your physician, exhausting all other treatment options before considering this one.

Have you looked through the resources we have posted discussing DBS?

I have not gone through the information on here yet. The neurologist isn't rushing towards this operation and looking at other methods first. Tetrabenazine was tried but that made me worse. I'm waiting to see a neurosurgeon to take two tissue samples for a genetics test and also to look for other things that may/may not be there.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.