More threads by John Primo

On every questionaire / screening survey I have taken at my Psychologist I scored high on all for likely having Bipolarity, Granted i have yet to see my Pdoc but I am thinking its fairly likely that at least at first I will be on something other then an antidepressant at least at the start of treatment. However I have a few questions knowing that everyone has some forum of Bipolarity on this forum could possibly answer.

I get irritated very easily, generally when this happens I have slight paranoia and delusional thinking (cloudy thinking), I have never and most likely will not have a full blown manic episode, is all of this part of Bipolarity? or is it likely that I have something else going on here? or is it even possible that this is just plain old major depression?

I am new, this is my first time posting so i hope I am following rules of the forum, my appointment with my psychiatrist is still about 3 weeks away, thanks for listening.

JP

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Hi, John:

As you probably know, we do not attempt and strongly discourage online diagnosis or self-diagnosis here at Psychlinks (see Forum Rules): There are simply too many factors that make that very risky, more than likely inaccurate, and ultimately unethical.

However, I am curious: You mention that you have completed certain questionnaires or "screening surveys" through your psychologist. Are you still seeing the psychologist? Did you get an opinion as to diagnosis from your psychologist? And what is meant exactly by the term "bipolarity" as used in your post?

I get irritated very easily, generally when this happens I have slight paranoia and delusional thinking (cloudy thinking), I have never and most likely will not have a full blown manic episode, is all of this part of Bipolarity? or is it likely that I have something else going on here? or is it even possible that this is just plain old major depression?

Again, I won't attempt differential diagnosis here. However, to answer your question, one can meet the criteria for a diagnosis with Bipolar Disorder without a full blown manic episode.

I'm also a little confused by your use of the term "slight paranoia and delusional thinking", especially since you follow it with "(cloudy thinking)". I don't know what you mean by "cloudy thinking" or how you are defining "slight paranoia and delusional thinking".

Andy

MVP
Welcome John Primo!

I know it really sucks having to wait on answers about what is going on with you but it is definitely best to just hold out and see what your psychiatrist says. Even then you probably won't get a diagnosis (if at all) the first time you see the psychiatrist.
This is just my opinion but I don't think those screening questionaires are all that great for actually diagnosing someone. I mean they give the psychiatrist an idea of some of the symptoms that you may experience but they do not really show the degree in which you experience things. There are other factors that a psychiatrist looks at as well, so waiting to see the Dr. is usually best. Again, that's just my opinion.

Being delusional and having cloudy thinking are not really the same thing, and there is nothing "plain" about major depression. It is very debilitating.

I hope your able to get some answers and hopefully that 3 weeks flies by for you. :goodjob:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I'll just add that even if the eventual diagnosis is bipolar disorder, that does not rule out the use of antidepressant medication, either in addition to or instead of other forms of medication.

Thank you very much, I just needed a place to vent, sorry if this was the incorrect place but thank you for answering what you all can

Trust

Welcome to Psychlinks, John Primo! :wave4:

I agree with STP's message!:2thumbs:

Wishing you the best while you wait for your doctor's appt!:D:)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
No, it's not the wrong place, John. This is a support forum. Some of our members have mental health or health experience; some don't. There are limits to how we can help but we are certainly willing to help within those limitations.

Andy

MVP
Thank you very much, I just needed a place to vent, sorry if this was the incorrect place but thank you for answering what you all can

John Primo,

I'm sorry if anything I said made you feel like you were not in the right place.That was not my intent.:support:
This is a great place for support and any questions you may have.:goodjob:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.