More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Typical Themes Associated with the Anxious-Awkward Social Style:

Defectiveness themes: Nobody would want me as a friend; I'm abnormal, damaged, fat, too stupid to mix with people; people don't like me; I don't deserve relationships

Fear of scrutiny or discovery of shame: People will probe, ask embarrassing questions about my sickness, my career, my broken relationship, why I'm not married, etc; if they knew my problems they would never want to be my friend

Fear of embarrassing situations:
I never know what to say to people; I might have a panic attack and disgrace myself

Hypersensitive to perceived criticism: People are always making fun of me behind my back

Alienation themes: I don't fit in. I'm different from all other people, nobody can really understand me, people can never give me the support I need; I'm alone; no one cares about me

Abandonment themes: It's only a matter of time before people drop me; people use me and then leave me behind; people don't call, they're not available, they don't want to be with me

Superior disinterest:
I have no interest in people; nobody could measure up as a friend; I can't enjoy wasting time with people; people always disappoint me; people are ugly, their habits disgust me; people tire me, they interfere with my work

Unrealistic expectations: Friends should contact me and find out if I'm o.k.

Idiosyncratic beliefs blocking socialization:
I must divulge my defects to a person before we can be friends

Source: Developmental Cognitive Behavior Therapy with Adults

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    142 KB · Views: 7
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.