More threads by Mia713

Mia713

Hi, My name is Mia. I am an 18 year old college student, and I am new here. I found psychlinks one night while doing some research on SI, and I figured it might help to talk to other people who share the same problem as me. After looking at numerous mental health sites for the past 2 years or so, I also think I might suffer from borderline personality disorder. I have almost all the symptoms, I don't know where to go from here to get help for it though. I know I should consider therapy, but I am afraid to. I don't know why I am afraid, but I just feel so uncomfortable going to some random person and telling them all these really intimate details about myself. I need to just force myself to do it, but it isn't as easy as I thought it would be to get help.

ThatLady

Welcome to the forums, Mia! We're very glad you're here. :)

If you'll think about it for a minute, there's not a person alive who's not a little bit nervous and scared when he, or she, embarks on something new. Being afraid is pretty normal, I'd say. As you say, you're going to a stranger to spill your guts. That ain't easy, McGraw! ;)

Anyhow, it looks like you've got the right attitude to begin the journey to health and happiness. Determination to make yourself the best person you can be is half the battle won.

hello there mia and welcome to this site i hoep it helps you out and brings you the answersyou are looking for
chow
ashley-kate :) ;)

Rosa

Hi Mia
I'm new here to. I discovered it awhile back but just recently got up the courage to post :)

I never was one to consider therapy, there was just too much in my life but I think we can all relate to not being comfortable with talking to a stranger about our problems. It can be hard at first, but for me it was a little easier than I thought it would be. Now I find it really nice to have the support and someone that I can talk about these issues with. It's also helpful having someone give me the medications I've probably needed most of my life but never got.

Take care and welcome,
Rosa

Rosa

Hi Mia,
In your post you asked how do you talk to some "random stranger". I personally didn't feel comfortable asking friends/co workers if they had any therapist they felt comfortable with, but some people do and that might be helpful to you. You could try calling a few and spend a few min's on the phone with them. I'm sure somewhere on this website they might have suggetions/ideas on what kinds of questions you might ask on such a phone interview. This might also give you a bit of a feeling about the person. If you have a church/temple and feel comfortable there you might be able to get some quidence there or referrals. The one thing I've learned after only having gone to two therapists-if you don't feel comfortable with the person or feel like your making progress you might want to consider someone else. My first therapist was not, in my opinion, experienced enough with my kinds of issues and it wasn't until I was referred to a Psychitrist for a meds review that I found my now doctor. I never had been in therapy before so it was hard for me to realize what I was doing wasn't the way it was suppose to go. Now I'm making lots of progress and really addressing the issues.
If you do find someone you like working with he/she won't be a stranger long-they will be the one person you could always talk to and not be judged.
Be well
Rosa

Mia713

Thanks Rosa. I did find someone I trust finally. It is a psychologist at my school. I also am finally on medicine to help stabilize my moods.

Rosa

I'm very happy for you. Hope your having a good day.
Rosa
ps changed my user name to my real name:)

Diana

There are so many people on this site who struggle with the idea of going to therapy. I think you'll find a lot of helpful tips here. That's great that you're seeing a psychiatrist at school. It's one step in the right direction. Even if it doesn't work out you can always find someone else. Good luck to you and welcome to the forums ;)

ThatLady

The trepidation you're feeling regarding therapy is normal, hon. I think everyone who's ever gone into therapy felt the same way. It's scary to think of going to a stranger and putting all your "warts" on display, so to speak. Society teaches us to keep those things under wraps! ;)

Thing is, therapy is so very helpful that it's worth it to take the risk and go for it. When you realize that it's your future health and happiness that is on the line, it makes it easier to take that initial, difficult step. Believe me, once you do you'll never regret having done so. :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.