More threads by lammers1980

I am happy to say that I am about to embark on something new and exciting in my life. I do not want to say what it is yet as I don't want to jinx myself. I have been preparing myself for this for the last three months and my next big test is a little over a week from now.

I have noticed something however. Lately my OCD like symptoms have been becoming a little more prominent lately, as well as certain annoying tics. I certainly hope that this doesn't interfere with my chances for success. I am not so worried about my obsessions, as they never prevented me from doing anything, but the tics bother me more because the are visible.

I was wondering if anyone else has gone through similar things, and if so, could they share their experiences?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Any increase in stress, anxiety, or uncertainty tends to increase OCD tendencies or symptoms -- it may be helpful to increase your medications a bit during such times.

dog5000

I understand exactly what you are talking about. My OCD almost always gets worse around times of major change--starting a new job, going to a new place, even changing the setup of my room. In the past, this has been a serious problem for me (again, see my other posts), but I'm slowly (cross-fingers) getting better. My new tact is to harness the OCD and use it to help me succeed. The OCD is still there, but I'm doing a bit better at using the OCD for good. I don't get tics with my OCD, so I don't want to steer you wrong by addressing a subject I don't know well, but I do know what you mean. Good luck!

I think tics are more closely related to Tourette's Syndrome, and that and OCD often exist together. I have never been diagnosed as having Tourette's Syndrome, but I have had tics since at least the fifth or sixth grade, so I wouldn't be surprised if I had it.

dog5000

I've noticed that just recently my OCD has gotten kind of bad. I thought I was past the worst of it, but just lately some things have changed for me. Most of the changes are good, but I'm just scared that I'm taking on more than I can handle. Some of my really bad symptoms are creeping back into my life--scratching, hair pulling, and thoughts of suicide or seriously harming myself. I should be happy with the changes, because, as I said, they are good changes, but for some reason, I am feeling really low again. My dosage of Zoloft was finally increased to 150mg and the Klonopin and Risperdal have been replaced with Lorazepam. (I only started this May 3rd.) More than anything, I just wanted to get this all off of my chest--thanks for the sympathetic ear--so to speak. :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.