More threads by bluebell

bluebell

From Don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff
By Richard Carlson, 1997

“Life is a test. It is only a test. Had this been a real life you would have been instructed where to go and what to do.”

Whenever I think of this humorous bit of wisdom, it reminds me to not take my life so seriously.

When you look at life and its many challenges as a test, or series of tests, you begin to see each issue you face as an opportunity to grow, a chance to discover more about life. Whether you're being bombarded with problems,responsibilities,even insurmountable hurdles, when looked at as a test, you always have a chance to succeed, in the sense of rising above that which is challenging you. If, on the other hand, you see each new issue you face as a serious battle that must be won in order to survive, you're probably in for a very rocky journey. The only time you're likely to be happy is when everything is working out just right. And we all know how often that happens.

As an experiment, see if you can apply this idea to something you are forced to deal with. Perhaps you have much pressure from your parents or you have a demanding boss. See if you can redefine the issue you face from being a “ problem” to being a test. Rather than struggling with your issue, see if there is something you can learn from it. Ask yourself, “ Why is this an issue in my life? What would it mean and what would be involved to rise above it? Could I possibly look at this issue any differently? Can I see it as a test of some kind?”

If you give this strategy a try you may be surprised at your changed responses. Seeing this issue as a test ultimately helped you to cope with your biggest personal frustrations. Maybe you still struggle now , It will be become far more acceptable to you to accept things as they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
"problems,responsibilities,even insurmountable hurdles" Consider these easy to deal with hurdles.
what about physical disabling painful hurdles? Would that be considered some
kind of test also. who's in charge of doing all these testing and what is the purpose ?
Who started all these battles of dreadfull illnesses that can't be cured?
why are some exempt from these tests (the healthy ones) that is if illnesses are also considered some kind of test:cat2:curios cat just wondering

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
There is a stoic notion that what matters is having a good, healthy operating system -- your mind -- and the current applications you are running -- the events in your life -- are a kindof test to see how harmoniously pleasing the operating system is. But the problem with stoicism is that it went way too far, which made sense at the time when one was dealing with wars, famines, and the whims of dictators.

Anyway, the funny saying about life only being a test is just about not taking life too seriously.

lallieth

I like this article,but would change the word "test" which can invoke a negative response,to life experiences..Life is one large mega experience.Each event in life is another lesson,whether we choose to see it that way is up to us.

We can make our lives as hard or as easy as WE choose too,if you constantly see the negative in life ,that is what you will live.

If you choose to see your life as a series of lessons,good or bad,then you will forever be learning and growing and developing.

We can choose to stand still or move foward.

ladylore

Account Closed
Thanks for posting this bluebell.:) This is a great way to keep things in perspective. At times I also ask myself "what I am learning here?" Sometimes it's relevant and sometimes not but does help to take some of the urgency out the situation and allows me to step back.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.