More threads by Peter

Peter

MVP
Recently I finished reading a book about 'Painters on Painting'.Parts of the book reminded me of Logotherapy by Viktor Frankl.
In the book, most of the painters referred to the idea of painting as a form of active meditation.

From this, other read books, I noticed that several artists, produced their finest works during a period in their life when all around them was in a crisis, such as a war.
It occurred to me that the crisis situation, which anybody would want to escape from, became their desire/incentive to penetrate, even deeper, their visible world to bridge across to the invisible world.
That is, to a world much more pleasant, or meaningful, to paint from.
Much like discovering how bright something is after you have been in the dark for a while.

I believe these artists had penetrated their own visible reality, to reveal the deeper invisible reality, of beauty, harmony, serenity, insight, truth, love, etc.
From these enriched artworks, other people (observers of art) saw, or sensed, a deeper beauty or insight as well.

Other artists such as writers, musicians, poets, sculptures, etc. have also produced their finest works during a time of world crisis.

In this regard, it seems to me that such people as artists, and people of prayer and care, become the spiritual soldiers against worldly crisis.

What are your thoughts on this?

Harebells

I definitely agree, all art forms can act as a kind of counter-charm against the hard things in the world - not that they change anything necessarily - but help us through somehow. I don't know why or how...or how to articulate it even. It's a mysterious process!! I guess at least it's bringing something charged with love/hope/vulnerability/fire/tenderness etc etc into the world. I like what you said about the bridge between the visible and invisible world. Art has to be fundamentally important to our species since we have had the drive to do it for many thousands of years!

I hadn't heard of logotherapy before - what is it?:)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.