More threads by Joe

Joe

Hello, I am looking for some parenting help. This is a brief description of our situation. My wife and I have a 6 year old child who has ADHD. I would probably say that it's on the milder side then some extreme forms of ADHD that I have read about. Because of the ADHD and some fine motor control development issues she is not up to par in school. So we have tried the various medications available and have been concerned about the affects. We finally settled in on Strattera which seemed to help allow her to focus better. However the medications affects are no longer helping and are going back to the doctor to see what else we can do.

Aside from all of this we are having some behavioral issues which we have tried countless parenting techniques to correct. Nothing seems to work long term. My wife and I have been looking for a psychologist in the Ottawa area which would have experience with helping in such situations. Basically we need a nanny911.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated .

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Hello, Joe. First, you need to make sure that you get the right psychologist, specifically one who is trained in child psychology and who also has expertise in childhood ADHD. A child psychologist has different training than one who works with teens and adults, and, as you are aware, a child with ADHD presents challenges that are beyond the realm of general parenting issues.

A good starting point would be Dr. Maggie Mamen or one of the child psychologists at Gilmour Psychological Services. You'll find others listed at Ottawa Academy of Psychology - an organization of registered Ottawa psychologists but bear in mind the caveats I've mentioned above.

Lana

Hi Joe;

I am not an expert in ADHD. However, in our forum, we have a whole section dedicated to ADHD and Learning Disabilities that accompany it. Here's a link: ADHD & Learning Disabilities

In there, there are a couple of articles on parenting a child with ADHD Parenting a Child With ADHD ADHD: A guide for parents

I'm sure there are others, but thought this would give you a start :)

I also know that few folks from here are in Ottawa (including Dr. Baxter, the big cheese of this forum) so maybe they'll be able to provide you with references. To give you a head start there, you can use the link to Mental Health Directory: Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD):: Psychlinks Health and Mental Health Resources Directory and Ottawa Psychologists and Counsellors - PsychLinks.

amastie

Welcome to PsychLinks, Joe.
I think you will find much to support and help resource you here. Glad David and Lana have put you in touch with resources to help. I'm sorry that it is an area outside my experience, but I'm certainly keeping you and your wife and your daughter in my thoughts.
Take good care.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.