More threads by PuppeesRLuveeS

I will preface this post by saying I realize that psych meds react very differently with each person, but I am looking for some general feedback about meds. Here is my story:

Diagnosed in July 2011, tried:
Neurontin, low dose had mild relief of depression
Lexapro, made me very flat, very tired and I gained 25 pounds
Wellbutrin, increased anxiety and still mildly depressed

I have read that lamictal can have a very good effect on depression as well as anxiety

I have also read that prozac can be helpful, but maybe not for the anxiety/angst component.

I am very sensative (i.e. a true "borderline") to all substances, be it meds, alcohol, foods etc.

I am not sure I want amed, but may need one for the short term.

Also having a very hard time finding DBT group therapy that is done correctly (weekly group and individual therapy that requires the diary card as well as includes phone support). Is CBT an acceptable alternative?

Thanks!

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Hi there. :)

As you say, the only way to know the right med for you is to keep trying with the assistance of your practitioner. The potential for benefit once you find the right med is big, and if side effects are too negative you can of course switch or stop.

I'm not sure if someone else might have some info about the other questions.

Wish you the best!

arboria

I agree that the medication is going to be a trial and error expedition for you. I've tried so many different medications over the years and have finally settled on only one that seems to cover what I need it to. I've been on as many as four medications at a time, which I personally think is over-the-top.

I've only recently been diagnosed as BPD, but I was treated with CBT years ago for depression, and it worked quite well for me at the time. I think the main benefit came from altering my reactions to the people around me. Instead of reacting with intense feelings, indignation or anger, I allowed those people their own behaviors, without judgment (to the best of my ability) and reframed it internally. Relationships do change when we start reacting to others' behavior differently. It's SO DIFFICULT, but worth the effort.

So this is what I took away from CBT, as an undiagnosed BPD at the time. Hope this helps!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.