More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Microsoft User Agent String Utility version 2

Brief Description
A utility that opens an Internet Explorer 7.0 window that is configured to report its identity to websites as being Internet Explorer 6.0.

This is helpful for sites which check for browser type and version. If a site has not updated (which was the case for the Bell Canada website for a time), you may not be able to access the website - this utility will allow you to report IE7 as IE6, thereby gaining access.

File Name: uasutility-v2-x86.msi
Version: 2.0
Knowledge Base (KB) Articles: KB923196
Date Published: 8/21/2007
Language: English
Download Size: 182 KB

Download here

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Addendum:

I just tried to go to the Windows Update Center but kept getting messages telling me that site was only for Windows updates, not for Mac users (I'm running Windows XP2).

I had to use this utility to simulate IE6 and then the page accepted me as a Windows user.

I find that rather amazing - even one of the major Microsoft pages didn't correctly recognize IE7.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I ran into the same problem again at the Windows Update site. This time, I hunted around until I could find an email address for support (Microsoft seems to like to keep those secret for some reason) to let them know they had a problem.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.