More threads by redskies

redskies

Hi

I just want to comment on some of the many anti-depressant threads here. Im dealing with depression, just the mild form, with some pretty crappy days here and there. I was prescribed celexa(10mg) months ago and looking back, i can honestly say it hardly had any effect on me. Because of such a low doseage, there was hardly any side-effects. it seemed great for me, because the doctor was just giving me free samples, so i didnt have to pay for anything. But what ticked me off was that i went in for a follow-up and he didnt have any more free samples and gave me a prescription for celexa. It turned out that it would cost me over $50. I didnt have the money, so i had to stop cold turkey.

Fast forward to today. The symptoms of depression are just to overwhelming for me right now and im deciding on going to a different doctor to prescribe me some anti-depressants, 5-htp. Hopefully they'll be able to help relieve some syptoms.

Comments/suggestions/info on 5-htp are welcomed

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
my experience with anti-depressants

Hi, redskies -- welcome to PsychLinks Online.

You might find it helpful to read 5-HTP & Tryptophan.

Also have a look at Depression Relief Diet, which is in part about the benefits of foods (especially fish or supplements like salmon oil capsules) containing omega-3 essential fatty acids (EFAs) in relieving and controlling depression.

I'll try to post more information about omega-3 EFAs when I get a chance.

redskies

Hi, thanks for the good information.

From experience, it seems that unless you're eating a good size helping of turkey, or any other product that has tryptophan, you don't really notice a change in the symptoms.

http://www.psychlinks.ca/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=277

^^These are all great tips. I guess these are all preventative measures? When you're actually in that state of mind of feeling absolutely shitty, you look for a quick fix like chocolate orcandy. And on some days, it seems impossible to muster up the physical AND psychological energy for any kind of exercise.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

redskies said:
From experience, it seems that unless you're eating a good size helping of turkey, or any other product that has tryptophan, you don't really notice a change in the symptoms.
Not exactly - I think that the evidence for the benefits of omega-3 supplements and in some cases vitamin B12 supplements is actually stronger that that for tryptophan.

http://www.psychlinks.ca/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=277

^^These are all great tips. I guess these are all preventative measures? When you're actually in that state of mind of feeling absolutely ****, you look for a quick fix like chocolate or candy. And on some days, it seems impossible to muster up the physical AND psychological energy for any kind of exercise.
Some of the things suggested in that post are more preventative or to sustain and promote further recovery once the deprssion starts to lift - you're correct when you say that when you are clinically depressed you have little physical or psychological energy for "vigorous exercise" - at such times, getting out of bed is a huge challenge, let alone getting out of the house or onto a treadmill. On the other hand, some of the suggestions about diet and supplements apply equally to when you're depressed and when you're in recovery. See also the thread on the omega essential fatty acids at http://www.psychlinks.ca/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=753.

redskies

Is there such a plan for people in BC where if you're low-income and are under the care of a psychiatrist, your meds are covered? If so, then that would help me out a lot if i decide to get some anti-depressants.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

I'm afraid I don't know about the situation in BC, redskies. It's quite possible though. Your family doctor might know, if you have one. Or social services in your city. Or the BC Health website.

I know in Ontario, families or individuals on social assistance and some low income individuals or families can qualify for drug plans, which will pay the cost of medications on an approved list.

First Nations and Inuit peoples are also eligible for paid medication expenses (as well as vision care and dental care) through the First Nations & Inuit Health Branch (FNIHB).

redskies

i found out that there is such a plan under the BC Pharmacare plan, 'Plan G'. i called a mental health team unit in my area, and now im just waiting for them to call back. i hope that now i can finally get some help for my depression.

theres lots of info here regarding depression. i'll definetly visit often. thanks for all the info!

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

Thanks, redskies.

I'd appreciate it if you could post back here with whatever information you get for any future similar inquiries.

Good luck!

Bo

I'm on 60mg of Celexa daily, plus 150mg of Wellbutrin. I just let my doctor know that I don't think the Celexa is doing anything for me. It's so hard to tell, because Wellbutrin has more noticeable effects (like vivid dreaming).

Basically, I would be really interested to see the imperical data regarding patients taking Celexa, because I'm starting to doubt it's effectiveness.

I'm glad you've found a way to pay for your meds, 'cause the price does add up! Best of luck to you!

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

Response to the different SSRIs is very individual and difficult to predict in advance. Celexa works very well indeed for some people; not very well at all for others. How long have you been on Celexa and how long at that dose?

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.