More threads by bookstar

bookstar

Is short stature less attractive then tall?

Hello,
I am a 5'6-1/2" male. I have never had problems getting girls because I am considered very attractive.
My problem is I feel I am not attractive at all because I am shorter then average.
My problem is everytime I see a tall man or women, I start to feel inferior. I feel that they are automatically more physically attractive then me because they are tall.
This may sound stupid or trivial but I have a very big problem with it and has lead to some depression.

My main question is, are taller people more attractive physically then shorter people?

My next question is, are there tons of beautiful women that will find shorter men just as attractive as taller men? Will the shorter man still get noticed by women?

Thank you for your help and time. I just want to know that I am not less attractive then my taller piers. I want to be noticed besides just a pretty face or a great personality. I want to realize that I can be just as handsome physically as taller men.

Thank you ;o)

ThatLady

Personally, I don't think height has anything to do with attractiveness. For me, it's more about the personality of the person, and what that person brings to the table in terms of conversation and interest in the world around us.

bookstar

Yea, I understand the whole "personality" thing, and anyone can have a great personality if they practice it.

My problem is I want to also feel that I am just as "Physically" attractive. Lots of people tell me I have a great personality, so I don't have to worry about that. I'm just feeling down about my physical appearance in that I am shorter then average.
People tell me I have a handsome face and that I can even model, but in my mind, when I see a taller guy or gal, I feel inferior and automatically feel they are more attractive then me (physically speeking only).

So, I guess I just want to know that a shorter guy can still look gorgeous physically even though he may not be tall, and that there are many women that will still notice a shorter man and feel that he is just as attractive as taller men.

So, in summary, I just want to know that I am just as physically attractive as taller people, and that there are plenty of women that find shorter men just as attractive.

Thank you again ;o)

ThatLady

Hmm. Well, let's name a few men whose short stature hasn't seemed to dampen their appeal:

Tom Cruise, Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman, Georgio Armani, Doug Flutie, Martin Sheen, Denzel Washington, Richard Dreyfuss, Robin Williams....the list goes on. That's just a few of them.

That should give you your answer. ;o)

bookstar

Yea, in a way. But it doesn't mean women find any of them attractive just because they are actors. There are more attractive people that are not actors then there are actors. People just notice actors because of the media and because they are on t.v.
Most women I dated didn't even like Tom Cruise. I don't think it was because he's short. They just didn't find him attractive.

If a person is a celebrity, they will automatically be noticed and look more attractive then if they were just a common person on the streets. That's a fact. That is why I never take celebrity height into consideration. It's an unfair advantage. If I were an actor i can bet my life that I would have women flocking to me just because of my fame and fortune. I could be 4 feet tall and still be attractive if famous enough. They love men with status, fame, power and what not.

But unfortunately I am just a common person with no talent to become famous, so I just need to know that even if I am not famous that I am still attractive while walking in public despite my height. I want to know that Tall is not better then Short. I just want to feel just as handsome as anyone that has stature. Thats all.

Sorry to go on about this. I suffer from it greatly at times. A lot of friends and family bring up celebrities but that is an unfair advantage that they have. They are noticed because they are in the movies and besides, in the movies it is really hard to tell how tall they are. Sylvester Stalone is 5'9" and in Rocky they had him where boots with heels and maybe shoe lifts.

So I have learned never to compare myself with celebrities. They are too made up and fake. They rarely never look like how they look on t.v.

So I just need reassurance that my height is still attractive and handsome to the opposite sex. Sometimes I feel I'm never noticed in public due to my height. I never see a girl look at my face, which is the quality I have. I don't know. maybe it is a phobia. As soon as I am around taller people, I have feelings of being inferior and less attractive. What should I do? How can I get over this? Is what I am feeling true? Should I feel inferior or less physically attractive?

Thanks again ;o)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

bookstar said:
So I have learned never to compare myself with celebrities.
Now you just have to learn to never compare yourself to non-celebrities.

Whatever you are, you are. Once you can accept that, you'll be truly content.

It's not like there's anything you can do to change your height anyway, right?

ThatLady

Heh. I used the names of celebrities because, if I told you of attractive men (who are of short stature) that I know, locally, it wouldn't have meant a thing to you. The celebrities are people you DO know, and can picture in your mind. Most are attractive men, each in his own way.

Like Dr. Baxter said, height is not a thing you can change. It is a part of you. Therefore, to bemoan your fate for not being 6'3" is an exercise in futility. You need to accept yourself as you are, be thankful for the gifts you've been given, and quit worrying about what others might think. If you're a good person, a good conversationalist, and present a friendly, smiling face to the world, you will be found attractive, believe me. :eek:)

just mary

I think it's an interesting question, and if you're looking for an opinion, I prefer a man who I can look in the eye and I'm 5 feet 6 inches. But I've dated men 5'3" and 6'0", in the end it just doesn't matter, there's so much more to person than what they look like. By the way, the guy I ended up marrying is 5' 7" and I love it, I can wear his jeans. ;-)

bookstar

Hello,

I am a 5'7" male living in North America. In this day and age, being my height I feel is too short and I feel I am not at all attractive physically to the opposite sex because of my height.
At the same time, I am a very handsome man and I am in shape, yet I struggle very much on a daily basis with my height. I deliver soda products for a living and I see people every day and I am constantly comparing myself with the taller guys thinking I am inferior and not as attractive as they are. When I see a beautiful woman, I feel I am not good enough for her and that she would choose a taller guy over me.

I have a feeling of not feeling attractive to women because of my seze. I feel women never give me the time or day because of it. At the same time I am not saying I will never attract anyone, but I feel to the majority I am less desirable.

I guess I want to feel and know that this isn't true and that I am making all this in my head and that my height, for the most part (but maybe not to everyone) is just as attractive as being taller. I want to feel I am good enough for the women I am attracted to. I want to know I can attract women just as well as any other taller man out there.

My mind is constantly telling me otherwise. I am so insecure that I cannot even look at a beautiful woman in the face. I feel I am not attractive to her based on my child-like size.

can anyone help me? Are there any words of encouragement? Can someone help me finally put an end to the lies (if they are) that are in my head every day?

Thank you for your help ;o)

Aaron

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
A superficial solution may be to wear Doc Martens shoes (my favorite brand). You will look and feel taller than Tom Cruise, that's for sure. When I went to buy my first pair of Doc Martens (just because they looked cool and were very popular), the sales guy told me he wears them since his girlfriend is taller than he is.

Anyway, I'm 5'9" and I do understand where you are coming from. I would say though that anything that weeds out superficial people is a blessing in disguise, esp. with divorce rates being so high:

Recent research has found that women are statistically more likely to be attracted to men of average height when looking for long term commitment while the opposite is true when a short term relationship is intended.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_attractiveness

Futhermore, height is usually not the biggest factor in physical attractiveness. Again, Tom Cruise (who is 5'7" in height) is an example of this.

Last edited:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Looking at it that way, you're as tall as Tom Cruise and in all likelihood a whole lot smarter.

The only thing he has on you is more money and more photographs of himself hanging on the wall.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
BTW, according to NBC's Today Show, a third of men are 5'8" or under.

Wearing clothes in the right proportions will make men of all heights look normal. Appropriate choices in fabrics, patterns and styles will always help shorter men look taller and really tall men just look tall. Looking good doesn’t mean having to look tall.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13265966/ (Video & article)

Anyway, at the Today Show link above, they have a brief video of a fashion show that featured clothing for shorter guys. When the tallest guy (who was 5'7") went on, the hostess said he didn't look short at all and the guy looked like a movie star.

ThatLady

I'm around 5'7". To be honest, I don't react to other people in terms of their height. I'm more concerned with what I see in their eyes, or hear in their voices and the words they say. What's in your heart is far more important than how tall you are. Even when in high school, I dated guys who were shorter than I, as well as some who were very tall. Height wasn't a consideration for me. It was all about the person inside the "picture frame".

I don't think it's your height that's creating the feeling that women won't find you attractive. I think that's coming from your own self-evaluation - negative self-image and self-talk. That's what has to change. Look at it this way: Would you reject me if I was wearing a pair of three-inch heels? After all, I'd be 5'10" to your 5'7". Would that make me someone else? Nah. I'd still be me. It's who you are on the inside that counts, bookstar. If someone would reject another person due to their height, that someone isn't anybody I'd want to know very well. That person would be far too shallow for my tastes. :)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
BTW, the average American female adult is 5' 3.8" in height. So most women will be looking up to you.

Except for the Dutch and the British, European men are, on average, about 1-2 inches shorter than American men. The average American male adult is 5' 9.2" in height.

NightOwl

Hi Bookstar. My husband is 5' 6" and I find him incredibly attractive. I don't find height a problem and I am sure you are very attractive too. I feel a lot of attraction to the opposite sex is the whole package rather than one feature.

Try to concentrate on the things that are good about yourself, I'm sure there are many. Think of other famous people, I know Tom Cruise has been mentioned, but Dudley Moore is short but he attracts many women.

It's an old cliche, but for me, I find sense of humour very attractive. Also genuine caring about somebody is very important, but it has to be genuine. There are many more qualities I find attractive and height is not a very high priority within those.

NightOwl

bookstar

Thank you everyone for your comments and help. But what about this article? : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2190461.stm It is saying that tall men are more sexually attractive and desirable by women. Now I feel if I am walking in the mall I won't get noticed at all because women are all looking for tall guys. Is the article true? Am I going to struggle with looking attractive to women no matter how handsome I may be, all due to my height?

thanks again ;o)

no, not at all. tall may be a factor but it is not the only factor. there's more to attraction than a person's height. let's turn this around: what is it in a woman that you find attractive? is it purely her height? or are there other things that attract you?

bookstar

I find her face, eyes, body shape etc..... attractive. I wouldn't care about height in a woman. But according to this article a woman cares about height. It is saying shorter guys are less desirable and sexually attractive. Is this really true?

Thanks for your help ;o)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Am I going to struggle with looking
attractive to women no matter how handsome I may be, all due to my height?

Are you asking women out? That would certainly help get their attention. If you go to Match.com, eHarmony.com or any other online dating service, height is an issue for some women just as some women won't date men who make less than $30,000 a year. You can't change your height but you can focus on your other qualities and do your best to find someone who will like you as a person and not as a product and for the long term.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.