More threads by adaptive1

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Hypergraphia isn't a really helpful term though since it describes a (often all-too-obvious) symptom, rather than a cause (which is OCD much of the time). That's why I didn't mention the term before even though I had heard of it (didn't want you worrying that you had epilepsy).

If I can stop writing that suggests to me that its voluntary.

Yeah. The same is true with starting, of course. Delaying the start of the compulsion by doing something else, for example, is a strategy discussed in Brain Lock.

Last edited:
I can relate to what you are saying. I've had that problem off and on for many years. Right now it is on. Needless to say, the recommendations of the above posts are sound.

moonriver

I found this post, although it was written some time ago I have had similar problems with over writing if you could call it that. In my case I suppose its because I am lonely at times so the writing takes the place of having to make human contact. Its like having someone thats always on your side or a friend available to listen to you that will never judge you. I suppose what is missing from that is feedback though, while writing is a form of therapy for many people, it can also just be another way to avoid the world. Kind of like the internet can be too I guess. Everything in moderation I guess is ok..

ladylore

Account Closed
I found this post, although it was written some time ago I have had similar problems with over writing if you could call it that. In my case I suppose its because I am lonely at times so the writing takes the place of having to make human contact. Its like having someone thats always on your side or a friend available to listen to you that will never judge you. I suppose what is missing from that is feedback though, while writing is a form of therapy for many people, it can also just be another way to avoid the world. Kind of like the internet can be too I guess. Everything in moderation I guess is ok..

That is why I love forums like this. I don't keep a journal as that type of writing triggers me, for some reason. But posting on a forum is a conversation with other people. My thoughts go out and are no longer stuck in my head. The feedback and support is also a great help, I am not relying solely on myself for answers.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.