More threads by Grace

Grace

Hello, and thank you for this wonderfully helpful forum!

I became interested in mental health by force - I had a couple of severe breakdowns in 2002/2004. I'm still trying to gain some equilibrium after developing clinical depression & CFS, going broke & losing everything. This all seems to have been going on way too long - if I've learned anything, though, it's that psychological problems build up over a lifetime; they take a while to fix, too.

At the uncomfortable age of 54, I'm now living with my mother (I became homeless). It's a tricky situation for us both, of course. Getting to know my Mum as an adult has been enlightening to say the least - and distressing!

I've become aware of many of Mum's behaviours, which I had replicated in my 'healthy' life, and which caused problems in my relationships. Partners complained that I was never satisfied, was judgmental, manipulative and constantly putting myself down. I saw myself very differently; I thought their comments came from their own problems (they were abusive towards me) ... but now, guess what, I perceive precisely the same traits in my mother! I guess they were right, after all :eek:

My other, more sinister, discovery is that she has very hostile feelings towards me - underneath all the loveliness - and she abused me in childhood, along with my father.

I only learned to think of my childhood as abusive when I started therapy. While my Dad wasn't into ritual cult abuse or anything like that, he was extremely violent, emotionally & verbally abusive and neglectful. I have to say I don't know whether he also abused me sexually; there's a possibility.

Once I got past the shock of finding my father wasn't "just a bit strict", Mum's mythical status as long-suffering wife + try-hard mother started to fall apart. She told me some of the things Dad "made" her do to me, which no caring parent would agree to, then added colourful detail about how fiercely she hated having a baby (me) and her sexual jealousy of me, which started before I was 12 and persists to this day.

All credit to her for her honesty - it was one of those therapy miracles. No sooner had a question formed, in my newly-opened mind, than a family member popped up to volunteer the answer!

Mum's honesty is inconsistent, though. Most of the time we play nice - I mean, she does. Then she will suddenly unleash a stream of hatred, resentment and - well, what sounds like fear. This happens about once every other day. Afterwards, everything's back to normal and she literally has no memory of her outburst: "No, I'd NEVER say anything like that to you!" :eek:mg:
It's very much as if there are two of her.

My problem is: er, everything?? Having lost my home, security, marriage, job, health and sanity (well, actually the other losses are more like the price of my sanity) I'm living in my Mum's space while making all these nasty discoveries. My capacity for 'healthy detachment' knows no bounds these days ... but I don't really have any strategies for dealing with my current situation, never mind regaining my independence.

I feel guilty for my helpless fury towards Mum - and I feel, just as I did in childhood, like the keeper of the family secret (no-one else ever sees those outbursts). Additionally, I am dependent on her roof over my head. She kind of tricked me into coming here; I won't bore you with the details. We are in an isolated village, middle of nowhere. My chances of getting back out are slim.

I could really do with some advice ... and some reassurance! I dislike being the "ungrateful child" even more than being the "problem child". Currently, I seem to be both :confused:

Jazzey

Account Closed
:hug: You're not an ungrateful child Grace. You're a person who needs a lending hand right now. And unfortunately, some things that are given to us come with strings.."control" strings.

My life story isn't far different from yours (honestly). the danger with having these types of mom's is that they can literally destroy you to the core - something you just don't deserve.

How long will it take you to get back on your feet? For the time being, accept the situation for what it is. Keep leaning on us. Know that you're not the person that your mother chooses to portray you as...Just trust me. It's all a control game. The longer you feel this way, the more she can persuade you that you "need" her.

Sorry - emotional topic for me today. But I hope that this post makes sense to you Grace.

And more importantly, Welcome to Psychlinks. I hope we can offer you the support that you so deserve. :hug:

Banned

Banned
Hi Grace,

:welcome: to Psychlinks. You'll find a supportive community here and I look forward to getting to know you better.

Grace

That's kind of you, Jazzey, thanks :)

I've read quite a lot of your posts - in fact, some of them could have been written about me!!
The longer you feel this way, the more she can persuade you that you "need" her.
I know that's true ... but am finding it hard to accept the truth behind it!

I really appreciate your affirmation.
Cheers!

Jazzey

Account Closed
You're ok Grace. Just remember that sometimes people use tactics to make us feel that we "need them".

And keep leaning on us here. :)

Grace

I'm not sure where I should be posting ...

Jazzey, I was reading some stuff about trauma survivors (that'll be us, then) ... and a lot of it applied to my Mum, also. I've often wondered whether there was more unpleasantness in her early life than she'll admit to - still, the cap fits but she won't wear it!

This leaves me conflicted (again :rolleyes: ). How much should I be "understanding" my mother, given that I'm not a child & may be better-equipped to help? Or is it better just to view her as toxic? She's 79. I'd hate to think I failed her before she died ... aargh.

For my mental health, I'm going to log out of here and watch some brainless TV :p Catch up later.
Thanks again,
Grace

Jazzey

Account Closed
Hi Grace...For right now, can you just promise me to take care of you. Maybe try and figure out what you're dealing with yourself. You'll be of no assistance to you mom if you haven't sorted yourself out first....trust me. :hug: Besides, she has to be a willing participant. And if she's anything like my mom, that's not going to happen anytime soon....Mine is 72 years old and denies everything...

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.