More threads by mysticforest

Hi everyone. I would like to seek your advice regarding self discipline.

Specifically with tasks such as writing. I currently want to do this for myself and for others. I am good at the task, and am told such. However, I do not particularly have a lot of 'intrinsic motivation' to write. I don't hate doing it, but I don't find it that great.

That's where the problem comes in. Recently I wanted to write 15 articles for someone else. This was for payment. I try to begin, and often procrastinate. I begin, finish one, and stop. Because of this, it has taken me several more days than it should have.

I am aware of simple procedures such as breaking tasks into smaller pieces and reducing distractions in the environment, but it doesn't really help. I am interested in whether there is anything I can do to increase my self discipline? Can I expect my self discipline to increase significantly if I keep trying?

Thank you - mysticforest.

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
:hithere: Mysticforest :welcome: to Psychlinks.

Are there materials for writing that could motivate or inspire you further? For example if you were to be writing an artical about a particular person, maybe having a photograph of them or being able to meet them in person.

I always found with writing, if it is abstract to me, it was more difficult. So the more I could relate to what I was writing, the easier it was. I have always needed the inspiration. It gives me that spark.

Not sure if I explained that very good.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I am interested in whether there is anything I can do to increase my self discipline?
Maybe exercise more often as a break since exercise has been shown to be good for creativity and cognition while also having mood-boosting effects.

BTW:

People with high self-efficacy often take a wider overview of a task in order to take the best route of action. People with high self-efficacy are shown to be encouraged by obstacles to make a greater effort. Self-efficacy also affects how people respond to failure. A person with a high self-efficacy will attribute the failure to external factors, where a person with low self-efficacy will attribute failure to low ability.

Self-efficacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
We can improve self-control through practice, testing ourselves on small tasks in order to strengthen our willpower for bigger challenges.

The quest for self-improvement should start small.

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/psycholo...health/10395-how-to-boost-your-willpower.html
Regarding procrastination in general:

Don't Delay - Psychology Today

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/psycholo...-health/15460-overcoming-procrastination.html

“How to Use the Unschedule” (the idea is to first schedule pleasant, non-work activities into your day so that life is not "all work and no play")

Last edited:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.