More threads by nesta

nesta

After several years of fighting anxiety/depression, my doctor decided we should try Strettera. He thinks that many of my symptoms fall into a gray area which could be different things, ADD being a strong possibility. Going through psycho-analysis and cognitive behavioral therapy have taught me of the many wonders of the mind. Unfortunately, neither of these therapies has had much REAL help with my problems. Some relief has been provided by anti-depressants, but not enough.

So I am just beginning my trial with Strettera. The problems that stand out are my total inability to focus or concentrate or read. I literally can read a paragraph five times and can scarcely recall five words. It feels like my brain has faulty wiring. I am totally restless and feel as if life is a series of snapshots flickering in front of my eyes. I do not feel real, as if I am living in a dream, disconnected to everyone and everything.

There are certainly other symptoms, many of which fall into the depression/anxiety realm as well. It is very hard to pull apart all of the layers and see what is the underlying cause.

I have investigated many sites on the web, and while I usually pass the online ADD tests with colors, there are certain things that don't ring totally true for me. I was a very good student as a child, had few disciplinary problems in school. I had boundless energy and seemed like I could funnel it and focus it. Attention problems and hyper-activity were present, but seemed to be managable. In my mid-twenties that all came apart. I am 33 now, and my life seems to fall apart and my internal chaos worsen year after year.

Also contrary to things I have read about ADD, I am an extremely clean and organized person, at least on the surface, perhaps obsessive, and I think because my mental state feels so out of control I need to control something in my life. Touches of OCD are not unlikely.

I don't want to get too ahead of myself...while I have considered the possibility of ADD before, I always avoided investigating it. I am trying to find out what I can about my experiences and others' experiences and see what rings true. But half of me finds a lot of truth in it. I am trying to be a bit skeptical so as not to overwhelm myself I think. My doctor is very supportive and eager to work with me. He told me to give the meds 7 days and then to report back to him to see what changes I may feel and then we will pursue it from there.

So here I am, and am sure to be back as I discover new things. Any input, especially relating to my childhood experiences, lack of focus, etc would be appreciated!

nesta

After several years of fighting anxiety/depression, my doctor decided we should try Strettera. He thinks that many of my symptoms fall into a gray area which could be different things, ADD being a strong possibility. Going through psycho-analysis and cognitive behavioral therapy have taught me of the many wonders of the mind. Unfortunately, neither of these therapies has had much REAL help with my problems. Some relief has been provided by anti-depressants, but not enough.

So I am just beginning my trial with Strettera. The problems that stand out are my total inability to focus or concentrate or read. I literally can read a paragraph five times and can scarcely recall five words. It feels like my brain has faulty wiring. I am totally restless and feel as if life is a series of snapshots flickering in front of my eyes. I do not feel real, as if I am living in a dream, disconnected to everyone and everything.

There are certainly other symptoms, many of which fall into the depression/anxiety realm as well. It is very hard to pull apart all of the layers and see what is the underlying cause.

I have investigated many sites on the web, and while I usually pass the online ADD tests with colors, there are certain things that don't ring totally true for me. I was a very good student as a child, had few disciplinary problems in school. I had boundless energy and seemed like I could funnel it and focus it. Attention problems and hyper-activity were present, but seemed to be managable. In my mid-twenties that all came apart. I am 33 now, and my life seems to fall apart and my internal chaos worsen year after year.

Also contrary to things I have read about ADD, I am an extremely clean and organized person, at least on the surface, perhaps obsessive, and I think because my mental state feels so out of control I need to control something in my life. Touches of OCD are not unlikely.

I don't want to get too ahead of myself...while I have considered the possibility of ADD before, I always avoided investigating it. I am trying to find out what I can about my experiences and others' experiences and see what rings true. But half of me finds a lot of truth in it. I am trying to be a bit skeptical so as not to overwhelm myself I think. My doctor is very supportive and eager to work with me. He told me to give the meds 7 days and then to report back to him to see what changes I may feel and then we will pursue it from there.

So here I am, and am sure to be back as I discover new things. Any input, especially relating to my childhood experiences, lack of focus, etc would be appreciated!

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
From what I've read, you don't have to have full-fledged ADD to benefit from ADD medications. The more stimulating ADD medications like Adderall can help people focus more even if they don't have ADD, which is why college kids are buying and selling them illegally for all-night study sessions and, as a result, are also getting stronger side effects.

Anyway, Strattera has a rather benign side effect profile compared to other ADD drugs since it is a "non-stimulant." In fact, some people (like myself) felt tired when taking Strattera. It was developed originally as an antidepressant but didn't do well for depression in clinical trials. It works on norepinephrine more selectively/effectively than the old tricyclic antidepressants, which are still sometimes given to people with ADD:

Norepinephrine, along with dopamine, is thought to play a large role in attention and focus. Accordingly, Eli Lilly Pharmaceuticals has released Strattera (atomoxetine), a selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, for the treatment of ADHD in adults and children. Strattera is unique in medications specifically indicated for ADHD, as unlike the psychostimulants (methylphenidate, dextroamphetamine, adderall) it affects norepinephrine, rather than dopamine. As a result, Strattera has a very low abuse potential and can act 24 hours-per-day. (It should be noted that some antidepressants, including SNRIs, have been used off-label for treatment of ADHD.)

Wikipedia: norepinephrine

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
From what I've read, you don't have to have full-fledged ADD to benefit from ADD medications. The more stimulating ADD medications like Adderall can help people focus more even if they don't have ADD, which is why college kids are buying and selling them illegally for all-night study sessions and, as a result, are also getting stronger side effects.

Anyway, Strattera has a rather benign side effect profile compared to other ADD drugs since it is a "non-stimulant." In fact, some people (like myself) felt tired when taking Strattera. It was developed originally as an antidepressant but didn't do well for depression in clinical trials. It works on norepinephrine more selectively/effectively than the old tricyclic antidepressants, which are still sometimes given to people with ADD:

Norepinephrine, along with dopamine, is thought to play a large role in attention and focus. Accordingly, Eli Lilly Pharmaceuticals has released Strattera (atomoxetine), a selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, for the treatment of ADHD in adults and children. Strattera is unique in medications specifically indicated for ADHD, as unlike the psychostimulants (methylphenidate, dextroamphetamine, adderall) it affects norepinephrine, rather than dopamine. As a result, Strattera has a very low abuse potential and can act 24 hours-per-day. (It should be noted that some antidepressants, including SNRIs, have been used off-label for treatment of ADHD.)

Wikipedia: norepinephrine

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.