More threads by Ryann

Ryann

I was diagnosed with BPD last year along with an eating disorder, anxiety, and PTSD...

anyway.

Im in an individual therapy right now and as much as I think its helping... im not quite sure.

I was wondering what types of therapy anyone with BPD or PTSD has tried that has worked really well. My therapist is making me look into dialetical (sp?) behavor therapy... or a group therapy... but i dont know...

Some suggestions would be great, and I know its really up to me and what I think is best... but... I just think I need a little more than once every two weeks of individual therapy.

Ryann

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Your therapist has made a good suggestion. Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) is viewed by many people as the "best" therapy for borderline personalidy disorder and related conditions.

The following provide additional information:

Dialectical Behavioral Therapy
Dialectical Behavioral Therapy. Marsha Linehan (1991) pioneered this treatment, ... Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) consists of two parts: ...
http://www.palace.net/llama/psych/dbt.html - 5k

Dialectical Behaviour Therapy
An Overview of Dialectical Behaviour Therapy in the Treatment of Borderline ... Dialectical Behaviour Therapy is an innovative method of treatment that has ...
Dialectical Behaviour Therapy - 46k

[PDF] Dialectical Behavior Therapy Frequently Asked Questions
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) is a treatment designed specifically for individuals with self-harm. behaviors, such as self-cutting, suicide thoughts, ...
http://www.behavioraltech.com/downloads/dbtFaq_Cons.pdf

Mental Help Net - An Overview of Dialectical Behaviour Therapy in ...Dialectical Behaviour Therapy is an innovative method of treatment that has been ... Dialectical Behaviour Therapy is based on a bio-social theory of ...
http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/ view_doc.php?type=doc&id=1020 - 108k

stargazer

Interesting that this post should appear here at this time. A friend of mine just yesterday said he was going to send me a workbook related to Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, which prior to yesterday I'd never heard of before. Someone had recently suggested that I might have Borderline Personaliy Disorder, and when I told my friend that, he said that he had just come into the possession of the DBT workbook in the context of another friend of his who was diagnosed BPD. He then read the list of symptoms of BPD, and had immediately thought that it sounded a lot like me. I also read the list of symptoms, and I thought that it sounded like me too, although it's not what I was diagnosed with earlier. In any case, I'm looking forward to receiving the workbook.

Eunoia

I don't know if this helps, but I have a workbook on DBT that my therapist gave to me (not for BPD though) but in relation to emotion management/recognition etc... it's really interesting so far and easy to read.... I referred to it on another thread that I just posted about part of the workbook which is an emotion thesaurus that I've found to be quite interesting and helpful in even identifying any emotions...

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/index.php?topic=4012.new#new

Don't Let Your Emotions Run Your Life: How Dialectical Behavior Therapy Can Put You in Control
by Scott E. Spradlin, New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook

An eclectic mix of cognitive-behavioral techniques, skills training, Zen, and existentialism, Dialectical Behavior Therapy helps readers pay attention to their emotions, assess their blocks to controlling them, and become less judgmental of themselves when they lose control. Worksheets and assessment exercises round out this breakthrough program

Ryann

Thanks guys! I was going through some stuff my old therapist had given me, about a year ago when I came across what appears to be the same kind of workbook. So im going to try and go through that and see if it works, its Dialectical behavorial therapy but for depression? So... maybe it will help. I have no therapist right now, I quit going to mine because im trying to find someone who can help me with both the BPD and ED. Thank you guys!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.