More threads by sweetanise

Hi David,

I've been thinking about finding a new therapist for a little while now, as the one I am not satisfied with the doctor I am currently seeing. He's a GP who has decided to specialize in psychotherapy. I believe he has a degree in psychology. He's quite nice, but I feel I need more help that he can give me.

Yesterday, however, I was informed by my family doctor that there are no OHIP-covered psychiatrists or therapists available in Ottawa. Is this true? After, she told me this, I was so shocked, I didn't think to ask if for a referral in spite of possible waiting lists.

What should I do? Go back and ask for a referral anyway? Call other medical clinics and social service organizations?

Thanks!
Mel

Retired

I will be interested in reading David's reply because I am not completely familiar with the health care system in Ontario having recently moved there. I would be surprised, however that there would be no OHIP covered Psychiatrists available in Ottawa, though there might be a lengthy wait.

In other Provinces the services of Psychologists are not necessarily covered by the health care system, but sometimes a Psychologist can be seen in hospital at a lower professional fee than might be paid in a private practice outside the hospital.

Have you contacted the departments of Psychiatry at the Ottawa Hospital or the Queensway-Carlton Hospital?

I believe each has an outpatient Psychiatry clinic.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
That isn't true, sweetanise. As TSOW suggested, the services of psychiatrists are covered under OHIP, as are the services of psychologists, and social workers who work in hospital settings. However, typically the waiting lists for these services are very long and usually restrictive (e.g., you would need to meet the criteria for a particular clinic or department in order to qualify - usually, these criteria are that you have a specific diagnosis such as schizophrenia or panic disorder or something along those lines).

There are also increasingly family physicians who have received some training in counseling and psychotherapy. Usually, such physicians will list themselves under Physicians and Surgeons in the Yellow Pages as "Practice restircted to psychotherapy" or something along those lines. They are also covered by OHIP but unfortunately many also have long waiting lists. Your best bet is probably to look in the Ottawa Yellow Pages for such physicians and just call and ask if they are accepting new patients.

You may also get low cost or geared to income services from the University of Ottawa Psychological Services or from Catholic Family Services (you don't have to be Catholic) and similar organizations.

Banned

Banned
I can also offer that St. Paul's University (on Main Street) has a counselling program with reduced rates. You are seen by students in training, however, they are supervised by licensed therapists. I contacted them once and their rates were very affordable.

Retired

Mel,

Please keep us posted on your progress in locating a therapist. With the increased pressure on our medical system, we need to take charge of our medical care.

Sometimes services are more easily available in smaller centers outside the large urban areas if you are able to travel. Towns around Ottawa may have services available.

Retired

Unlikely for mental health services, in my experience. They're congregated in the big city.

Would the Psychiatric Hospital in Brockville offer outpatient services for someone willing to drive an our from Ottawa?

Does the hospital in Kemptville offer Psychiatric services?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Brockville has some, but that's a long drive from Ottawa. Kemptville really doesn't have anything except as weekly outreach services for previous hospital services patients from Brockville.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.