More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Pets: A New Name for Fluffy
By Carlin Flora, Psychology Today

Why pet names are more human than ever. Max, Molly and Maggie, choosing a name for your pet can be an exercise in anthropomorphism.

Today's pets have cuddled, cooed and purred their way to elevated status in the family?and, in our alienated world, sustain deep emotional connections with the humans whose lives they share. From doggy day care to special toys and foods, the increasing anthropomorphism of the family pet is seen everywhere, especially in pet names. The most popular name for new puppies in 2004 was Max, according to PetData, an outfit that licenses animals throughout North America. For "girl" puppies, the favorites are Maggie and Molly. Quite a few conspicuously human-sounding names landed in the top 100 of New York City's dog database, too, including Bella, Sophie, Lily and Oliver.

"Animals are surrogates for children and appeal to our predisposition to nurture," says Sam Gosling, assistant professor of psychology at the University of Texas at Austin. "We've even selectively bred dogs to make them more like children?to have big eyes and small noses, to be attuned to our emotions and to give unconditional love."

The naming trend flows both ways: Amid the fervor for bestowing unique names on their tots, parents are choosing such common nouns, mythological characters and concepts as Destiny, Chance, Jupiter and Freedom?all of which could pass for pet monikers. "A lot of boundaries are getting crossed," says Pamela Redmond Satran, coauthor of Cool Names for Babies.

my budgies are called:

Nova, named after super nova star!

Cookie, named after a biscuite!

Star, named after a star!

Tuesday, named after the day he was born on!!

Alba, named after my make of television:D

Pops, named after the popping bit of Rice Krispies:)

other names of budgies I have had are Squeaky, Henry, Julie, Jackie, Thomastomkins, Vega, Bobbie, Billy, Pip, Sam, Max, Sarah, Beauty, Pixie, Tich, Bingo, Custard, Ben, Jarvis, and crumb! :)

Halo

I agree with Halo :D but Baxter :panic:....well we may have to talk about that one :lol:

I should watch myself as I am probably going to be banned the next time I try to log in if I keep this up :panic: :bad:

Last edited:
I had a yellow cat once named Harvey until he was neutered. Then I called him Harvey Jane....

With all my kids we have had Emily, Blackjack, Rommel, Kiki, Schnitzel, Shautzi, Buttons, Doggie-Doggie (not named by us!), and Hoss. Then Oscar the fish, Gertie the guinea pig, and a nameless iguana and spider.

ThatLady

Pet names! What a nightmare! We've always waited and watched. Sooner or later, a new kitten or cat names itself.

Right now, we've got
Mouse - squeaks and was an uninvited "guest"
Hoover- sucks up anything that isn't nailed down
The DooD-thinks he's hot stuff, and prances when he walks
Lady Sylvia-constantly babbling on about nothing

Banned

Banned
Let's see - in my life I've had:

Bingo (a cat, not dog)
Pumpkin (cat - Punky for short)
Jasper (dog - I didn't name)
Jessie (dog)
Amy (dog - I didn't name)
Molly (dog - I didn't name)
Brody (dog)
Winnifred (Turtle)
Socks (Turtle)
Sneakers (Turtle)
Cluster Filbert (Frog)
Eugene (Newt)
Tina (Budgie)
Tia (Budgie)
Simon (Hamster - named after St. Simon of Cyrenne)

Yeah - I guess I'm in on the human name game too. I find some of the dogs who come to my daycare interesting. Some of the more interesting ones are:

Yoshi (Portuguese Water Dog)
Kiai (Shiba Inu)
Magua (Chocolate Lab)
Diogi (little mutt)
Qeynos (Greyhound)
Isis (Rottie)
Chilco (Standard Poodle)

And a special one...just for David...

Baxter (Miniature Daschund)

Meg

Dr. Meg, Global Moderator, Practitioner
MVP
My dog is called Maggie... suddenly that seems very boring!!

One of my friends has a cat called Jedi - I think that's a pretty good name :)

HA

Pet names! What a nightmare! We've always waited and watched. Sooner or later, a new kitten or cat names itself.

Right now, we've got
Mouse - squeaks and was an uninvited "guest"
Hoover- sucks up anything that isn't nailed down
The DooD-thinks he's hot stuff, and prances when he walks
Lady Sylvia-constantly babbling on about nothing

:rofl: Had a really good laugh over these, TL.

My most recent pets:

Bear-my black kitten who is now 1yr old and who I named.

Sol-poppa cat named by my son after the Sun.

Azrael-momma cat named by my daughter after Gargamel's cat from the Smurfs. She now has a new home and new name, Zara.

BG, I really like the name Diogi.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.