More threads by indestructible

Hello - I have found the posts on this forum helpful so far, and I would like to ask about a dilemma I am having.

I am a 34-year old woman, and I am pregnant with my first child (7 months). With the pregnancy, I started to get very concerned about my upbringing, and how it would affect me as a mother. Everything will be so new for the baby, and I don't want history to be repeated for him.*

Here is my story: My mother was a narcissist and an alcoholic and my father died of cancer when I was 5. I have a much older brother and sister who are both "golden children", as in favouritized and achieving, whereas I am the scapegoat. Although I don't fit perfectly with the scapegoat role in that I don't have challenges with addiction and I am successful in my career, within my family, no matter what I do, no matter how good I am, I am always looked down on. I have also had great obstacles to overcome with being attracted to men who were abusing/exploiting me. Therapy has helped me with that, and now I am with an amazing, loving, supportive husband.*

My upbringing was difficult, with my mother's boyfriend sexually abusing me when I was 13, and my mother's alcoholism that started at the time of my father's death. My mother was verbally abusive to me, and would constantly tell me how useless I was. My brother and sister, who were away at college as this stuff was happening, shut me out, and were more interested in me being a "good girl" for my mother rather than listening to me. Life was chaotic, and I did not think much of myself, and was not around friends who cared for me. On two different occasions when I was 15, I was sexually assaulted, which made me move further into an abyss. Eventually, I ended up trying to kill myself. Instead of rallying around me, my family rallied around my mother (this is pretty predictable, now that I understand the dynamics of narcissistic families and "golden children".) I didn't tell anyone about the sexual abuse or assaults at the time, which I understand now is normal.*

Since I had no one to reach out to, at 16 I relied on myself to get out of the downward spiral. I started a new school, got new friends, and put on a happy mask to the world. Grades came easy for me in school, and I was able to achieve. Even though I was doing a lot of interesting things such as travelling and publishing articles in the local newspaper, my family was always ashamed and embarrassed of me - often they would leave me out of things. My brother's friends believed he only had one sister (not me) or my mother asked me to leave the house if her friends were coming for a visit. I never understood why I was seen the way that I was and even my friends would comment that I was such a great girl with good grades and fun to be around, whereas my family treated me like a "pregnant teenager". It hurt so much. In my early 30s I went through two years of therapy trying to overcome it and uncovered many of the truths behind my upbringing... but I still did not feel resolved. *

This summer, as my pregnancy progressed, I wrote a letter to my mother telling the truth about that everything that happened with me, and asking her why did what she did, and why she wasn't there for me. I told her about the sexual abuse and the assaults for the first time. At the time, I did not know about narcissism, and that she had no motivation to change.

As a narcissist, she did not respond compassionately. She was defensive, put me down, and said that I was just blaming her for "all of my problems". "All of my problems"... when I see myself as a success. My brother and sister, all these years later, have not changed. They just rallied around her. My sister has been trying to bully me into seeing my mother and is accusing me of holding my future son hostage (which is not true but that is one of the things my Mother is saying so she can be a victim), and my brother won't speak to me. My sister is in the healthcare field, and acknowledges that what happened must have hurt me, but she says that my mother is blameless. My sister is more interested in appearing to have a "perfect family", rather than facing the truth with me.*

I can't believe that my family cares so little for me. Or - maybe since there is narcissism, maybe they love me as much as they can... which is not enough. It really breaks my heart :(. Luckily, I have an extremely supportive husband, and a network of lifelong friends, but, I still feel like it is sad that I don't get to have a family because of this enduring situation. I feel bad for my son, who won't have an extended family.*

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on:
1. Coping with breaking ties, even if they are unhealthy, with a family with a narcissistic dynamic. I want to move on, but for some reason I can't. I keep feeling upset and asking "why" rather than being able to put it into the past.*
2. Not repeating history ie. being a better Mother. I want to be the mother that I never had for my son... but I am scared that I am so absorbed in these family struggles that I won't be able to.*

Thanks for any advice you can give...

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
This may well be something that could benefit from a few sessions with a therapist. I don't know if you've considered that or if it's feasible.

It doesn't sound like you can look to your family for any sort of emotional support. What sort of a support network do you have outside the family? Your partner? Close friends?

Dysfunctional relationships with parents are often the most difficult to resolve. Looking for change in your mother is probably futile and your siblings are caught up in the game of supporting her so they're not likely to change short term either. It seems to me that now your first priority is to focus on you, your baby, and your partner: Do what you need to do to create a peaceful and healthy environment for your new family and try to stop beating your head against the wall of your mother and siblings.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah - it is just beating my head against the wall - it is time for me to just let go and move on... though easier said than done! Therapy is not in the cards right now with trying to save for some time off with the baby...

AllyCat

Hi Indestructible

Reading your story I am reminded of my own. I don't know if any of this advice will help but at least know you are not alone. I know it is very difficult to break ties (I have tried) and I wish you the best. You, being the great person that you are, will always want to see the best in people and hope that one day they will change, it will take a long time to let go of the fact that they won't. Just don't rush it. With regards to you being a good mother. I think you will excel in motherhood as I believe people are bad parents partly from ignorance. You have already seen and accepted your faults and limitations so you are aware of what you do. Being aware of the traps parents fall into you can and will avoid them. Good luck with everything:)

Allycat: Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I think that part of me still buys into the "show" that we are this happy family, and I want to deny my own reality as well. I also don't want to rock the boat, or hurt anyone. My mother for example is dramatically crying that I am trying to keep her future grandson away from her, when I am totally not. But, something about her doing that, is still pushing my buttons. If I am able to pull away, I think there will always be a space where my family once was. It is not as though pulling away makes you feel better, as if it all never happened, it just avoids making it feel worse.

I do feel bad that my son will have no grandparents (my father, and both of my husband's parents have passed away). But, the alternative of having my mother wreaking havoc on his life as well, or him seeing the level of disrespect aimed at me would not be healthy.

I hope I can move away from the toxic dynamic for good - but it is really hard and I feel the pain every day. This is very different from how my family sees it, where they are portraying me as this aggressive, mean person to my Mom, but, what do I expect at this point... they will never change right? If there is anything I learned by reading the posts on this forum, it is that.

GGB: It does feel like an open wound. For some reason, the wound seems more glaring when pulling away. Maybe all of us people who are in narcissistic families/relationships have issues with abandonment, which makes the road of pulling away harder? I think the idea of leaving certainly seems strong, but I don't feel strong. I feel like I've been run over by a cement truck or something.

BTW - I was in a relationship for 2 years with a narcissistic man, and it was hard to get my bearings after, so 14 years must be really hard. Everything revolved around him, so, everything reminded me of him after we broke up. Meditation and journaling really helped me get through it. Also - I focused on doing things that I liked, and what made me happy - it helped remind me of who I was. But - the process was really painful though. It is really not fair to have these painful things in our lives, then it is also painful to walk away from them. But I guess we all have different spiritual paths to go down...

I did read this excellent article on forgiveness, about if there are cases where it does not make sense. It is really interesting, and I just got the book. It is called "Must You Forgive" in Psychology Today, by author Jeanne Safer. The link is here: psychologytoday.com/articles/199907/must-you-forgive (I cannot do HTML since my post count is too low - I am not a spammer, it is just an article that helped me.)

ggb

Yes! I AM doing journalling. It helped that I have been journalling since 1996 and before and during the whole 14 years I was in a relationship with him. It was in journalling - and in re-reading them now with the knowledge I have of NPD -- that I discovered that I WAS devaluing myself before I met him (I referred to myself in myjournal as "stupid" and "yecch") and that there were TONS of red flags I saw when I met him and which I all ignored.

I once saw him with slash marks on his lower arm because he said he felt his parents wronged him - my reaction was "awww" & I wanted to take care of him.
Instances I thought were just arguments -- NOW I know were him gaslighting me. e.g. I didnt want to be intimate with him & he responded with stony silence & Indifference & accused me that all I thought about was sex.

Now, I am struggling with memories & emotions which come up suddenly & fighting back tears when in the grocery or everytime I talk about it (writing is different but when I talk about it I cant help but burst out crying). I am trying to find and achieve healing, slowly but surely.
Still, there are times that when I do talk about it, I cant help but feel guilty as if Im talking about him behind his back even if I knew what he did and said to me and even if I have stopped all forms of contact.

God help us recover and achieve full healing.

Thank you very much for the link.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on:
1. Coping with breaking ties, even if they are unhealthy, with a family with a narcissistic dynamic. I want to move on, but for some reason I can't. I keep feeling upset and asking "why" rather than being able to put it into the past.*
2. Not repeating history ie. being a better Mother. I want to be the mother that I never had for my son... but I am scared that I am so absorbed in these family struggles that I won't be able to.*

1) I have found that for some, leaving behind the narcissistic parent (and possibly the enablers) isn't always an instantaneous event. I'm still not fully disconnected from my parents, but Mother's Day is approaching and I do NOT want to call up my own mother on this day. I know she will berate me and make me feel guilty for blocking them from calling me (and my husband) and then go on about how so-and-so has a wonderful mother-daughter relationship where the daughter calls her mom everyday to chat. I rarely now, if ever, argue with her, but in my head I say things like "What the hell are you talking about? I can't stand being around you or talking to you for more than 30 min!" I find I have done a lot of tongue-biting, and am surprised my tongue is still its original length. Constantly biting back and swallowing emotions are not healthy, as I've learned the hard way. It messes up your sleep, your body chemistry, and your well-being. So just remember, you don't have to rip her off you like a bandaid, but at least keep putting your foot down and put up protective boundaries. I've tried saying to her that she can only call between 9am and 9pm, but that went by the wayside because she keeps telling me that I said between 9am and 9:30pm and then after a while I just stopped arguing with her and didn't answer the phone when she started calling earlier and later at night. There's nothing like a day ruined in the morning hearing some nasty hinted guilt trip and conversely how can a girl get some sleep when she gets a call from this person at 11 pm and then the simmering anger of being awoken out of a nice dream to hear that voice grating on nerves doesn't calm until who knows when in the middle of the night? Also I got tired of her filling up our answering machine. So eventually, without any warning, I just blocked her phone number. Ah peace. Mind you, they moved from the middle of the country (Saskatchewan) to the west coast (British Columbia) so they can't just show up randomly and beat on the door. So space is definitely a good idea. Start small if you want and if your mom inevitably breaks your rules, then you have to do something about it. I look at it as my mother is continuously trying to interfere and it's not safe for me. So I am building up a protective wall. But my mother is providing the brick and mortar and is the reason I am building this protective wall. I don't build the wall around myself, I build it around her. The window of communication between us is getting smaller and smaller between us. But it's her choices that produce those consequences.

2) I haven't been able to conceive children, partially I suspect because of treatment for an illness I now have under control. It's my personal preference (and my husband seems fine with it now too) that we don't want any children. I would probably be fearful of having something inherited from either side of our family (there is NDP, but also depression, alcoholism, bipolar disorder, anxiety disorders, possibly Borderline Personality Disorders, pedophilia, etc) and I fear that something could be inherited. Also I do not want to repeat the past. I do not want my mother to have anything to do with my children, and I would be torn between letting my children have grandparents or having a relatively normal life without grandparents. I know people with NPD can sometimes mess up family relationships and sabotage child-discipline, and also try to turn their grandchildren against the parents.

Case in point: my mother told me she originally bought a house and my mom, dad and I were all on the title. Original story: when I graduate from school my parents would sell the house and give me a third of the money. The story has changed dramatically now: they have still not sold that house and it's 20 years later. Before they moved I was desperate to remove my name from the title (I had been wanting to remove it for years). I had no choice but to 'go behind their backs' to a real estate lawyer to find out what would happen if I was the sole person being on title in the same province. I had never paid any rent, never lifted a finger toward the house's maintenance/repairs, I didn't want to have anything to do with it. I don't even want the money. I think my mother still thinks she has some kind of control over me because she thinks I want that money. My mom's last-ditch effort was she was going to give me money so I could go to another city and get fertility treatments... I nearly laughed but instead politely declined, speaking in her language: "If God wants us to have kids, we will." She's always giving things she doesn't want to do over to God, so I thought I would try it. Then she can't say anything. Because of course, that's all I want, is my mom can say to the world that she helped me conceive my own children, and in her mind of course that will entitle her to take over raising them and lording that over me for the rest of my life, and of course give her something to cry about if I decide to with-hold my children from her to keep them safe.

All I can say is boundaries, boundaries, boundaries. And don't ever leave your children alone with your parents. Ever. If you have to, move away. If your mom breaks boundaries, put up a bigger, stronger one, and even if she can't understand why, she might clue in that something in her own behaviour means consequences. Your brother and sister will come around eventually (or never). I have one middle brother who lives with my parents. He is 38 years old. He can't hold down a job for more than 3 months because they always take him back, give him groceries. Heck they bought him a car, they maintain and fix the car. He may have something not quite right with him, but he's totally dependent on them, even though he has told his brother he's just taking advantage of them. Meanwhile, my youngest brother who is around 36, moved away 5 years ago and hasn't spoken to my parents since. He's ahead of the game. It took me a long long time to get to the point I am at right now. It's difficult for me, I think for the same way you feel: I am not sure I want to be an orphan. I'm slowly coming to the understanding, though, that I've always sort of been an orphan. Or sort of had a half-life. I don't want to be a mindless puppet like my dad.

I am really sorry how long this post is, but I hope it helps out somehow. *hugs*

Bliss

Coping with breaking ties, even if they are unhealthy, with a family with a narcissistic dynamic. I want to move on, but for some reason I can't. I keep feeling upset and asking "why" rather than being able to put it into the past.

I think that's a normal reaction. Of course you're upset. And why shouldn't you be? You are mourning. That's right...you are in mourning. But my mother isn't dead, you might you reply. No, but the person you hoped she could some day be is. The person you hoped you could finally get through is. In short, your hope is dead. The validation you hoped to one day receive is dead, the fulfillment you hoped to some day have in your relationship is dead.

And yeah, it hurts. So grieve, I say. Grieve for the little girl who needed her mommy to love her, but never found her. Grieve for the wounded child inside, the little girl whose mother's arms were never a safe harbour, the best friend you never had, the support you never received. The unconditional love you were entitled to but didn't get. Grieve for that little girl, hold her, tell her it isn't her fault, that she didn't do anything wrong. Cry. Rave. Rant. Throw a tantrum if you need to. Embrace the pain then let it go... Instead, focus on what you do have; a loving husband, your wonderful friends, a child on the way. You are so blessed...don't let your mother deprive you of enjoying what you do have. Don't let her win. Not after everything you've been through.

As to being a loving mother, I wouldn't worry about that. The fact that you're here, searching for answers, already proves that you won't repeat the pattern.

Dear indestructable,

Let me assure you that despite the crappy experiences of our childhood including the extremes, we can be different parents than our parents. From being there myself, I can assure you of that. Surround yourself with the right people instead of the negative interfering people. The one skill that we can develop from our experiences from having narcissist parents, is empathy because we know a lot that others don't. We can take control of our own lives and succeed and concentrate on teaching our children the right moral lessons in life.

You can do it!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.