More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

The work of top creatives isn’t dependent upon motivation or creative inspiration, but rather it follows a consistent pattern and routine. It's the mastering of daily habits that leads to success, not some mythical spark of creative inspiration.

~ James Clear

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
When it comes to ideas, most people overestimate the risk of piracy, and underestimate the price of obscurity.

—Mike Trap

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“If uncertainty is unacceptable to you, it turns into fear. If it is perfectly acceptable, it turns into increased aliveness, alertness, and creativity.” —Eckhart Tolle

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act, the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything.”

– George Lois

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“When I write, I feel like an armless, legless man with a crayon in his mouth.”

~ Kurt Vonnegut

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Vonnegut faced a lot of obstacles in his life and career, including a lifelong struggle with depression and suicidal thoughts (more common in writers and poets and other creative individuals than most people realize) and divorce from his wife of several years when she became a born-again Christian which put the two at odds over his atheism.

Beyond his marriage, he was deeply affected when his son Mark suffered a mental breakdown in 1972, which exacerbated Vonnegut's chronic depression, and led him to take Ritalin. When he stopped taking the drug in the mid-1970s, he began to see a psychologist weekly.

I don't know anything about what type of therapy he was given but the choice of Ritalin as medication may have been unfortunate.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
A previous psychiatrist in Florida let me try a stimulant (Provigil) at my request to see if it would help with anything. After the first dose and feeling palpitations, I lost all interest in anything more stimulating than coffee.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“If you are a gifted person, it doesn’t mean that you gained something. It means you have something to give back.”

~ Jung

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"The creative act is not hanging on, but yielding to a new creative movement. Awe is what moves us forward."

"We have a paradox. Going into the deepest aspects of inner space connects you with something that is the most vital for the outer realm."

~ Joseph Campbell

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“We can make the most of our short experience of life, actually, and to live it fully, to exist as a separate, creative individual, we have to differentiate in those ways.”

~ Robert Firestone, Ph.D.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"The best use of imagination is creativity. The worst use of imagination is anxiety."

"What keeps life fascinating is the constant creativity of the soul."

~ Deepak Chopra

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

A mother’s brain requires cognitive, emotional, and behavioral flexibility. “This helps us adapt to new environments. Flexibility and thinking outside of the box—isn’t that what creativity is?”

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Researchers think the connection between flow and well-being has something to do with three things: suppressing brain activation in structures associated with thinking about ourselves, dampening activation in structures associated with negative thoughts, and increasing activation in reward-processing regions.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.